Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

hello! and a few questions?

Article about: hello first of all. my name is liam and im 20 years young and i live in Durham, UK since i was very young ive been interested in WWII. its always been an interest of mine and now id like to

Default hello! and a few questions?

hello first of all. my name is liam and im 20 years young and i live in Durham, UK

since i was very young ive been interested in WWII. its always been an interest of mine and now id like to get hold of a few things that i can display in my house. but i need advise on a few things...

where is the best place to get things? eg: car boot sales, ebay, collectors?

how do i know what im buying is real?

i am not by means wanting to start a collection. but get together a couple of things that i like.

i am very interested in getting a copy of 'mein kampf'...
    this is the one that has caught my eye:
    Mein Kampf on eBay (end time 26-Jan-10 15:06:29 GMT)

what is a general price for an item like this?
    does anyone have one for sale in the lower price range? (i am not a wealthy man by any standards)

PS. sorry for my lack of knowledge

Default Re: hello! and a few questions?

Hi Liam, welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about a lack of knowledge. We all were beginners once. You have done a good thing by joining the forum. We have a real wealth of collecting experience here.

My first advice is to buy books and read here as much as you can. Go back through some of the old threads (Don't forget the search function) and read about things which take your interest. Don't be afraid to ask questions if something is not clear. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

With regards to buying: many new collectors are out for a bargain (aren't we all). But you will not find them at the places you have listed unless you are very lucky. There you will be preyed upon by the con artists etc. Much better to stick to reputable bona fide full time dealers to start with who offer a meaningful money back guarantee.

My other advice is to buy good quality items, the very best you can possibly afford. Don't be tempted by lower priced items which have condition issues.

Copies of Mein Kampf vary a lot in price. The condition of that one does not look great. There are many many different versions. I see that one is in English. If you have not read it, get a copy from your local libray. Good luck in reading it! I read it back in school. It is a load of old rubbish, but clearly spells out Hitler's aims.

Cheers, Ade.

Welcome to a great place of learning Liam

Enjoy and keep asking questions like Ade says

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

oh i hadnt noticed it was in english. ive currently listening to the audio book of it now... load of old dribble! takes him ages to make one point :S

i was actually after it in german. im looking to pay up to about £50 am i dreaming?

It seems to me that it's best to start with a focus on a certain area of collecting that most interests you, I think if you start collecting several different types of items at once it can lead to problems. There are so many things to learn that it can be overwhelming if the scope is too broad, my aim is to keep it fun and never overwhelming. It's kinda like "knowing a little bit about something and opposed to knowing nothing about everything." Have fun buddy.

Mike