Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identify WW2 Dutch East Indies Cannon

Article about: Hello, first of all i don't know where i should put this. Anyway today i got these pictures from a 1939-1942 dated magazine. It's an artillery unit from the local kingdom in Dutch East Indie

Question Help Identify WW2 Dutch East Indies Cannon

Hello, first of all i don't know where i should put this.
    Anyway today i got these pictures from a 1939-1942 dated magazine. It's an artillery unit from the local kingdom in Dutch East Indies. The kingdom of Kasunanan in Surakarta at that time owned an artillery corps called "Jagasura" and they're equipped by the dutch east indies government. So my question is, what the type of that cannon? I already search everywhere but no avail.
    perwira keraton artileri solo.jpgpasukan artileri keraton solo.jpg
    Thank you gents.

This is the KNIL "Snellaad kanon 7,5cm L35". Translated as "fast loading gun". Produced by Krupp in 1902 and in use until the pacific war. After 1940 in use as coastal artillery.

Post WW2 a couple were used as salute guns in Bandoeng.L35 Krupp.jpg

Thanks for your info on Surakarta!

Cheers,
    Emile

Good Lord!-a 1902 model field gun with no recoil absorption system...must have been bought 'on the cheap'!

Hello Lithgow,

These guns were delivered in 1903 to the NEI Army. Not top of the bill in those days, but as they were intended for use in fixed positions, not too bad either.

In 1941 the KNIL had to make do with what was on hand. We bought and paid for modern equipment in 1940/1941. But the USA diverted delivery of these rifles, submachineguns, machineguns, airplanes, tanks, artillery and whatnot, because of their own urgent requirements. Australia delivered Vickers barrels to fit in our own production Vickers MG's. They were put to good use.

For instance the Johnson rifle and LMG were produced for the NEI and for the USA. The Dutch paid for setting up the factory and production of tooling. Most of these arms were delivered to us in late 1945.

We used out of date stuff, but we made do with what was available. It all ended badly, but not for lack of trying.

Cheers,
    Emile

My point was not that it was used in WW2-many old equipments ended up in use in war emergency conditions, but that the gun was obsolete the day it was purchased-Krupp, Vickers, Schneider etc were very good at selling the latest gizmos in an age of rapid technical advances-one can only think that Krupp was thinking that they'd soon be flogging modern stuff to the Dutch in a couple of years when they realised what a mistake they'd made!

Thumbs up

Thank you for the infos gents.
    Anyway emile, is this cannon a horse drawn type or at least transportable by horses? Because i found another interesting fact but from a different dated magazine. The magazine in 1936 told about the NEI government equipped the jagasura with 2 cannon drawn by australian stockhorse. So is this snellaad cannon is the same with the 1936 one?