Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

help with import taxes from u.s on ww2 item

Article about: ive seen a fairly expensive ww2 item for sale in the usa , can anyone help with what duty and vat are chargable for such items posted to the uk please

Default help with import taxes from u.s on ww2 item

ive seen a fairly expensive ww2 item for sale in the usa , can anyone help with what duty and vat are chargable for such items posted to the uk please

Sadly, there is no clear answer, the whole system is pretty random and incompetent. About 50% of the time you dont get charged at all. When you do, the charge can be substantial (10% of the items cost).

plus vat @20% ?

Good point, yes, I think you are quiet right, but honestly my experience is very much that the amount charged seems random. i recently bought a £600 helmet and was charged £60. Last year I bought a £30 water bottle and got a £20 charge, so its totally all over the place. I dont think I have ever been charged 20% of the cost, but that presumably is whats supposed to happen.

any suggestions on what to mark the package as ? antique /replica /used etc

not really sure why i should pay taxes on something hitler made 70 years ago but hey ho

There can also be a 'handling fee', can't remember how much but I think it was around £9 for the last thing I bought. Depending on who is sending it to you I think if it is marked as a gift then it is not subject to tax and import fees. Like Douglas said, in my experience there is no clear answer. I have bought items from around the world and the vast majority have come through without issue or any major fees, however, I bought a bag for work once which came from the US and cost about £20, when it arrived I had to stump up an extra £20+😡

The system stinks, as Doug said sometimes you get no charge, other times its more than it should be and you also get the post office handling charge. I bought two caps from a seller in the states, both WWII British and both cost $50, one had no duty and the other hit me with the fee plus handling.

It seems you only pay import Vat if item cost is under £120 and only import tax & Vat & handling fee if above that figure

UK Buying USA Import VAT Customs Duty Parcel Force Fees | eBay

If you attempt to defraud the HMRC you risk losing your item if it goes missing as faking the declaration is risky and your insurance wont cover it, though plenty do without a problem, thats your choice.

Unless it is very cheap and the vat/tax do not make it too expensive, I would never buy from the US again.
    If you try to defraud the HMR
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Just have collectibles on it, it covers a lot!
    My experience it equal to Douglas2496.
    I also had to pay 50 euro on a new 45 euro book ....one time....
    You could try as to declare it as a gift, and let them add a happy birthday card in it.
    It worked once for me, but it could have been a simple coincidence....
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris