Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hitler Youth daggers, dress daggers/ bayonets in combat?

Article about: I just received my first Hitler Youth knife. While admiring it, I remembered the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the Americans find a Hitler Youth knife on a Germany body in the Omaha Bea

Default Re: Hitler Youth daggers, dress daggers/ bayonets in combat?

I've seen a few HJ knives ground down to the shape of the fighting knives you often see, similar to a British commando dagger shape blade. Whether this was done during the war is anyone's guess but a few must have been used for this.

Hello all,

I never took SPR as anything more than a work of entertainment. I was just thinking that if a Hitler Youth transferred into a combat unit, that it would make sense to bring his dagger along with him. I find it surprising that there are no pictures of a HJ dagger on a combat soldier/ being held by a soldier.

How about dress daggers? Any evidence of them being used for anything more than show?

I can only offer this story of a 2nd pattern Luftwaffe dagger being recovered from a shot down Bf109 here in the UK. My friend got it direct from the Vet who said that was how he acquired it. How true? I don't know but my friend would not have made it up.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    the troops that surrender state they were polish,
    They say that they surrender and that they are czech, and that they didn't kill anyone. They say it in czech.

Nitram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2