While browsing through this forum I've seen a few comments talking about the stagnation and maybe even decline in interest in this hobby. I haven't been collecting for long so I can't comment on sales directly but I have been thinking about the longevity of the hobby.

I'm my year or so collecting I have occasionally had the worry that my collection might be someday worthless or not valued or treated in the same way that I treat it but I don't think that will happen. One of the reasons people say is that as people get older, the people that link us to the wars disappear and so there is no one left to carry on the interest. I'm 18 years old and my only link to the world wars is through my great great grandfather who fought in WW1. My grandmother was born at the end of WW2 and I did not know my great grandmother for long. The point I'm trying to get at is that there is virtually no link and no stories to spark and interest in my collecting. This has mainly come from movies and TV. WW2 was tragically the most significant loss of life of the modern era and because of this we are now taught the cost of war through schools and films but I think especially the news. This has created an interest in film makers to produce war films and in turn interest a whole generation of people like myself interested in collecting. From some research I did a little while ago it was clear that the number of new WW2 films was decreasing but at the same time the price of items increasing. Some items doubled in price every 10 years beyond inflation. I think that because the war was so significant it will continue to remain relevant and present as we continue to talk about world affairs.

One comment said something along the lines of people will collect items that are linked through family members to the more recent wars eg Vietnam or Afghanistan. I think this is partly true but these wars were not as significant as the ones of the past in broader terms. I think another factor is the items themselves. The older back you look, the more artisan and higher quality the items seem to get. Although the artefacts of today likely work better and last longer, I'm sure many of you can agree that the lack of plastic and attention to detail is one factor why you collect what you do. It seems like 3rd Reich era items are some of the most uniquely detailed and beautifully made items designed by a country that seriously cared about it's aesthetic. I haven't seen any modern nation put that much effort into the appearance of their military which I why I think the 3rd Reich collectables simply can not be replaced. The sheer quantity of items at the moment also makes it a somewhat good space for new collectors although the costs are rising.

On a different note I came across an article talking about banning 3rd Reich Militaria. Their idea was to donate the items to a museum so that they cannot be misused. The very though made me feel sick. From their point of view, if it came from Germany in WW2, it's a 'Nazi' artefact which represents hate. It's articles like this that could threaten the hobby by essentially labelling collectors as Neo Nazis where the only purpose of collecting is to make some kind of Nazi Shrine. The word 'Disturbing' is thrown around a lot and it really gives collectors a bad name. I used to talk about my collection to friend but have since kept it low profile due to the fears that someone could report me for hatespeech and have these items lost.

I apologise if this post is too ranty or doesn't make sense but it was just some things I have been thinking about lately. I'd appreciate your input on this topic.