Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Holocaust Star offered for sale in the classified section

Article about: by drmessimer I have only two thoughts to add to this excellent thread. I think that the sale of any artifact on this Forum should be limited to genuine artifacts. If reproductions or fakes

Default Holocaust Star offered for sale in the classified section

Hello all..., a point of discussion.. There is a Jewish Holocaust Star being offered for sale in the Classified section,, any thoughts on this? Is it unethical? Although related to WW2 History is this something that should be respected as so not to put a price on an item that was related to Genocide?
    IMO it is unnerving almost to the point of those who rob graves for WW2 memorabilia..............lets make a discussion about this and not a fist fight!

Here is the related link https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-c...w-star-209059/
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Default Re: Holocaust Star offered for sale in the classified section

Don't forget, a potentially emotive subject of which there will be differing views and opinions. Friendly, constructive discussion is allowed, anything else isn't!

Agree to disagree in a sensible way and remember, someone elses point of view may differ but it doesn't mean they're wrong!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I personally wouldn't want one of these, it is simply not something I want in my home. However, having said that, over the past few months I've been collecting nsdap party badges which are not military at all and represent the party that caused all of the evil. I can't put my finger on why there is a difference in my mind but to me there is. I won't judge anyone though as there are several other items I wouldn't collect also and yet others that I'd happily have.

My realist views are as such: An object is an object. If someone wants one, let him buy it. We all collect things for different reasons.

An interesting situation....if the star patch in question is a repro of an original reprehensible thing, would owning the repro be bad also? And, if not-why not? Conversely, if it Would be-why would it be?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

My opinion, for what it's worth, and I tend t oagree with some oof the others, this is something that should be in a holocaust museum. I know it's historical, and it does have something to do with WW2, but it deals with a whole different aspect than what happened on the battlefield. I guess I look at it from a different point of view in that I lnew a survivor, her name was Helen. She used to wear long sleeve blouses to hide the tattoo, but she showed me one day. Her tongue had been cut out, but she could still make herself understood if you gave her some time to form the words.

That's my 2 cents.

?

Originally i posted this in the discussions forum. Adrian moved it so the authenticity could be clarified. No problem with that. Personally i think people can collect what they want. I will not make me master of that. I just don't think it belongs here. TR collectors are often portrayed in a non correct way. This can add to generating misunderstandings. As for myself, i do not see those kind of items as "war relics". They have nothing to do with battles etc.

What about empty cans of Cyklon B. Some of them was used for delousing. It would not necessarily have killed anybody. A war relic? My point is i think these items should be left out of our forum and left for others to deal with.

Regards, Lars

- - Updated - -

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    My realist views are as such: An object is an object. If someone wants one, let him buy it. We all collect things for different reasons.
    Agreed. But do we have to help sell it?

?

To me this type of item has a morbid background and personally I associate these with a period of absolute beastiality towards another human being, i cannot forget my visit to Belsen because of the emotions I had there, and to me , collecting something like this is akin to collecting the personal possessions of those that suffered , ie the shoes, clothing, spectacles, etc, there are those that will argue that people collect other items from time periods that were not the human races greatest moments but I think that because this is relatively recent history and concerns the near extinction of a race of people in a brutal manner, it remains pyschologically ingrained in a persons mind, but i do understand survivors from that period who may still keep their stars, their tattoos and other reminders because of what they went through, the personal loss etc, noone should ever forget what happened but noone should profit from it either, enough profit was made during those times

?

To open this debate, which I highly commend the moderators for doing, is to open a box that has an unknown depth. We can all give our own personal opinions, and others can challenge them with their own views, arguments and beliefs. After the debate, we will all go back to collecting what we like best, and have our reasons for it. My sincere hope is that this thread is able to run its course, and that the arguments, points and comments remain decourus of the moderators and their wishes. Regarding the question, in some way, I don't see any difference in owning a Jude star patch, to owning anything displaying a swastika. The Jude star patch was a symbol of shame, forced upon a people by an aggressive ruler, whose own symbol was the swastika. For me, they go hand in hand as you can't absolutely distance anything related to the NSDAP from what happened within the KZ system. I do however, believe that lines can be blurred, making them difficult to define. For some, there are no limits. Others, choose to steer clear of SS or KZ related items due to un uncomfortable feeling that they can awaken. The most important thing for me, is to remember why we collect, and not forget the history that is tied to the items.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 03-28-2013 at 01:59 AM.

We already buy and sell things here that are specifically Nazi party items only, and not militaria. If it is disrespectful to sell a star like this, then why isn't it disrespectful to sell something like a 'Dirlewanger' cufftitle? The only purpose a piece of insignia serves is to allow someone to discern someone else amongst the various groups of people that exist in the world. People kill, fabric does not.

When something like this pops up for sale, it's easy to jump all over it like it's some serpent that needs to be vanquished. When we start doing that, we only enable those who want to ruin our hobby.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast