Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Honesty in collecting

Article about: AMTG great story and you did the right thing. That said the dealer probably made triple what he paid. I've got a good one for you. My dads best friend used to be neighbors with an old Canadi

?

Default Re: Honesty in collecting

AMTG great story and you did the right thing. That said the dealer probably made triple what he paid.

I've got a good one for you. My dads best friend used to be neighbors with an old Canadian vet who died in the 80s. So he helped out the widow who in her later years sent him the box her husband sent his old war trophies home in, with the war trophies intact. He knew I collected and sent me the box. I had no idea what was inside, but was blown away when I opened the box. Early SA/SS flag bearers gorget, 4, 8 and 12 year SS long service awards and medals and decorations coming out the wazoo (over 50!) along with his old cap badges and insignia. I called him and said this stuff has a retail value of several thousands of dollars and could I pay the widow something as it didn't feel right. He said she did not have long to live and wanted this lot to go to where it would be appreciated and he said all the help I have given him over the years I was welcome to it and he knew I'd never break it up or sell anything. Which I never will.

So here is where the Karma comes in. So my wife and I decided to donate 25 large strollers to a women's shelter that had put out an emergency request for funds for such. So that helped 25 young women in need. I was then shortly after offered the Gerhard Lotze grouping, without question the most complete Waffen SS combat officer grouping on the planet complete with his posthumously awarded Knights Cross, tunic, visor, M43, all docs, etc etc etc etc etc you name it it's here. And like the grouping I was given, this grouping will never be sold either.

And my dads neighbor? We were at a hockey game together recently and he won $120,000 in the 50-50 draw between periods.

What goes around comes around.

An awesome story! I believe in karma big time and could never knowingly rip somebody off, the sick feeling in the stomach would be unbearable, much better to have a warm and fuzzy feeling instead!

?

DougB you do a lot of good things, above and beyond what others do...what goes around comes around!! I think if anything this thread has shown the integrity of its members, and that good deed goes un rewarded ...

One other thing has happened to me...I am a keen modeler, and a local man has produced a model of the Austrslian armoured vehicle called the " Bushmaster"... I was a crew member of one of these vehicles in Iraq, and I found a print of my vehicle done by a company down here called " grubby fingers" I bought a copy of this print, and told the artist that he had drawn my bushy....I gave him a few photos and he was able to personalised it for me by adding my vehicles unique markings.....he didn't charge me for the print, and even sent me a copy for my father...he then mentioned the fact a model was in the last stages of being produced. He put me in contact with the builder....I visited him and he asked me to look over the prototype and give my views....I was able to help iron out some of the fine detailing for him and produced some photos....nothing I showed him was classified...he was desperate for photos of the comms fit out for the vehicle, but that was something I would not comment on as these vehicles are still operationally used.he then offered to produce my vehicles markings as a decal option in the kit...I was well chuffed, having made models all my life....my vehicle was actually going to be produced for a workd wide market...I pre ordered two kits immediately....over the next few months I was able to help more with references nd my experience....he then gave me the first prototype mock up of the kit, something that had cost him 5000 bucks to produce....to show my gratitude I bought both of them a hip flask engraved with my corps badge and a personal message to both......I then recieved two signed prints of the box art, signed by both the builder and the artist, and I also recieved three kits for free as a thankyou....I was then asked to sign two prints, which were mounted along with the hip flask and are now on display in the showroom......

People appreciate help, I was happy to help and expected none of the things I recieved......I was just happy that my bushmaster can now be built by modelers all over the world!!!! And that my first Hand knowledge was able to help a small business produce a highly accurate kit.....I must admit I am a little freaked at having the chance to build my vehicle....I haven't started it yet.....it's going to take time to come to terms with it!!!!

Thumbs up Only regret on the GESTAPO idenity disk IS......

That like an idiot I didn't take down the ID number so I might have researched it's owner. It's really the history that jazzes me. Owning it really isn't what it's about for me... it's the history. I would though like a minty operational MG42 which I would of course shoot.

My brother had a co-worker who said he had some old medals from his Grandfather who was a Austrailian machine gunner in France WWI. He brought them into work and was going to give them to my brother. It turned out to be a perfect original Blue Max and a Pilots badge. His grandfather shot down the airplane around the date and place where Richthofen was shot down. My brother out of guilt, told him it was really worth a lot of money the guy took it back and had it on Ebay the next day. My brother was bummed about that one and still wishes he would have kept him mouth shut since this guy was such a jerk selling out his grandfathers stuff without a thought.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    My brother had a co-worker who said he had some old medals from his Grandfather who was a Austrailian machine gunner in France WWI. He brought them into work and was going to give them to my brother. It turned out to be a perfect original Blue Max and a Pilots badge. His grandfather shot down the airplane around the date and place where Richthofen was shot down. My brother out of guilt, told him it was really worth a lot of money the guy took it back and had it on Ebay the next day. My brother was bummed about that one and still wishes he would have kept him mouth shut since this guy was such a jerk selling out his grandfathers stuff without a thought.

Burt
    I must admit... I'd be kind of gutted if that happened to me. Do you happen to know how much the guy got for the medals on ebay?

?

Quote by milmuseum View Post

Burt
    That's some major amount of history there, and you would have that little voice in your head thinking it could be connected somehow to richthoffen....I mean the fact he was a machine gunner, and he shot down a plane around the same time, snd now that research shows that the baron was possibly killed by Austrslian ground fire.....you'd think thst would be a treasured family heirloom just for the fact it was bought back from the war...goes to show some are only after a quick buck.....it makes me sad when I see medals and soldiers portraits for sale in antique stores....I picked up a set of WW2 service records for a husband and wife at an antique store, it even had the telegrams sent by family and friends from their wedding!!!!!the address on them was a local one and I spoke to the store owner, someone I know, and asked who bought them in, I had the intention of returning them...he said not to bother as it was the family who gave them too him!!!! I still have them and will look after them....

?

If you were able to determine that the bloke was just after cash in that situation, you could have said, yeh they are nice items, here's 200 bucks, if his main aim was cash that may have been enough for him. I believe tht honesty is the key, but in some situations if you were able to determine his true intention, then a poker face and a offer would be acceptable

You sound like me. You would love to have the stuff but, you know that you would never enjoy it because of the way you got them.
    That would make me feel like crap every time I looked at them. I agree with what Greenhorn said. Did you offer to buy them?

I can't remember how much he got exactly but it was several thousand $$$. I always tell folks the approximate value of items. As much as it hurts when they get a change in hearts sometimes, Karma has worked in my favor too often to change my ways.

Burt

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5