MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Horrible experience with Manions auctions... Still ongoing.

Article about: Hi gang! I have a story to relate to you about an experience that I am currently dealing with. I fully understand that this is something that could have been avoided with some research on my

Default Horrible experience with Manions auctions... Still ongoing.

Hi gang!

I have a story to relate to you about an experience that I am currently dealing with. I fully understand that this is something that could have been avoided with some research on my part. As some of you know... or may not know... I own a coin shop and we also buy militaria through the door. I had an problem with "stuff" piling up in the store so I decided to send some of it to Manions for auction in Febuary 2012. Jody Tucker stopped by the shop and I showed him the items I was thinking about consigning and he picked out around $8,000 worth of stuff ranging from civil war sabers to German helmets. I was promised a 90 day turnaround after auction. The items were auctioned and I was pretty happy with the prices that the items brought. This is however where my happiness with this company ends. It is now November 14th and to date I have received only $1,700 of my nearly $8,000 payout. I have called the office asking about my funds and have been told that "We will try to get some money out to you next week"... that was over a month ago. I'm about to get the local authorities involved.

Default Re: Horrible experience with Manions auctions... Still ongoing.

I'm sorry to hear that!

I would definitely call the local authorities. Perhaps the Better Business Bureau, too?

Manion's has been deep in debt now for years. When Ron Manion sold the business, Jody also inherited all of the debt. That was a bad move on his part as he likely did not use an attorney. The debt should of remained with Ron Manion along with whatever cash remained in the business. Evidently, there was never an accounting at closing. A good friend of mine and well known collector consigned a large amount of material at the SOS to Manion's shortly before or after the change in ownership. His story is similar to yours except he never got paid. Around the same time, I also consigned several thousand dollars worth of material. I had them guarantee in writing on the consignment sheet that I would be paid within 30 days. I was lucky and got paid in full. The best thing to do at this point is to contact the state attorney genreal as the amount owed is large enough for them to investigate. It may be a civil matter. However, if there is enough of this fraud, it could become a criminal matter.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

That's unfortunate. I suspect the local authorities, if you mean the police, will not do much as it sounds to me to be a civil issue between you and the auction company. I suppose you could file a complaint with the BBB, but they are usually rather useless. You could try the attorney generals office for the state, or whoever issues them their auction license and/or business license. They might be able to hold Manions to something and make them shell out the cash a little faster.

I have just been in contact with the attorney generals office in Kansas City. I will be filing a formal complaint by the end of the week.

Good luck mate, sorry to hear this

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Been there, seen that! Lucky never lost a great deal!
    My wife has a radar for that kind of people!
    I hope all end's well for you!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

In my business I deal with auction houses all of the time. I can say that in dealing with more then a dozen auction houses. I have never had an issue.

I know I've purchased a few things from you via PM, but how often do you list items for sale on the WRF Classifieds? Would it make sense to sell more of your items here or does that take too much effort verses having an auction house do it?

Sad news mate, I hope you get your money soon. I'm always hunting helmets and regularly browse the classifieds.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast