Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Hot Potato!!!

Article about: I guess this could be called a "Hot Potato" LoL World War I grenade found in shipment of potatoes headed to Hong Kong - CNN World War I grenade found in shipment of potatoes headed

MAP
    ?

Default A Hot Potato!!!

I guess this could be called a "Hot Potato" LoL

World War I grenade found in shipment of potatoes headed to Hong Kong - CNN

World War I grenade found in shipment of potatoes headed to Hong Kong

Hong Kong (CNN) War relics are often discovered in unusual places, but few finds are as unexpected as this one.

A German-made grenade from World War I was discovered in Hong Kong on Saturday among a shipment of potatoes, police have said.

The shipment had come from France, headed for an industrial estate that includes a potato chip factory.

"The grenade was imported from France together with the other potatoes," Superintendent Wong Ho Hon Wilfred told media Saturday.

It was in a "stable condition because it had been previously discharged, but it had failed to detonate at the time of discharge," he added.

Police detonated the grenade on site at the industrial estate, which contains a factory for the Calbee brand snack company, posting a video of the procedure online.

Calbee Four Seasons Company Limited could not be immediately reached for comment.

hong-kong-grenade-close-exlarge-169.jpg
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I once worked on a commercial potato farm and being familiar with mechanised planting and harvesting I could see how this could happen. The potato field was presumably an old battlefield and on harvest as the potatoes were mechanically lifted, the grenade came with them and continued in the post harvest journey. Of course the shape of the grenade is similar to a potato so difficult to spot at any point in the harvest process. Lucky it never reached the fish & chip shop.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I once worked on a commercial potato farm and being familiar with mechanised planting and harvesting I could see how this could happen. The potato field was presumably an old battlefield and on harvest as the potatoes were mechanically lifted, the grenade came with them and continued in the post harvest journey. Of course the shape of the grenade is similar to a potato so difficult to spot at any point in the harvest process. Lucky it never reached the fish & chip shop.
    Yes, agree. This could easily be missed during quality controls. I've grown my own potato's (wasn't too successful) and even pulling them our by hand, I mistook some rocks as being potato's until I washed them off! LoL

I could also see this being thrown into a wok!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)