Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

How did you find this Forum?

Article about: I was looking for a first class iron cross. That was back in 2011, Doesn't feel that long ago. Thanks for putting up with my posts for so long . I have learned a lot these past few years and

?

Default Re: How did you find this Forum?

I was looking for a first class iron cross. That was back in 2011, Doesn't feel that long ago.
    Thanks for putting up with my posts for so long . I have learned a lot these past few years and Just hit the 2000 post mark yesturday, I was shocked.

Thanks, Pat

I don,t know how I came across this forum but I lurked in the shadows for a while and then realized these folks know what their talking about. I am glad now I joined.

Martin

I took the same route as Adrian.

I was researching a belt I picked up at a yard sale the year before and always looked at like it was some junky old thing... I posted it here, my first post, and found out it was possibly an early WWII German piece, possibly a general's belt (?), and being here definitely got me back into collecting ;-)

It seems strange now, but I recall typing into Google search on my new fangled computermabob "Choirboys in chains" and on the 3rd page for some reason I forget, there was a link to WRF.

I clicked on, and I was immediately fascinated by the plethora of military history and collecting of such varied items and relics of some of the most significant parts of recent human history that I quickly became hooked.

Suffice to say, I soon lost interest in my previous hobbies of playing the Church Organ, and Bell Ringing practice on Tuesday nights quickly lost it's allure for me as well, as I steeped myself deeper into the fascinating history of warfare, it's battles, and the associated paraphenalia of awards, daggers, helmets, photo's, paperwork, weapons, aircraft, vehicles and ships etc. etc.

I have never looked back, and thanks to this forum, learn more interesting things from some of the best minds on the subject out there, every day, which is a privilege that I hold so very dear, and try to repay in what little way I can.

Thanks everyone!

Kind regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I was on WAF though I wasn't really the most active member just used to pop in now and again and see what was happening (still do) but then I started to go on another forum that Ade was involved with (name of which escapes me - possibly the World War Militaria forum that was mentioned earlier?) and when that closed now I came across this place at some point but I never signed up for it but I did stick it in my favourites folder for the future (I'd kinda lost interest a bit by then...just one of them phases I guess), anyhow a couple of years later whilst going thru' my favourites folder I spotted it again and joined up this time.

I still post bugger all though...! lol

Adrian Stevenson and Bob Coleman brought me here in 2008 after some very bad experiences elsewhere, i.e. the Bianchi and the Gottlieb sites. The hard lessons of the earlier sites led us all to forge some rigorous best practices, the results of which are gratifying, even if they always baffle me, since I am very old and make no apologies for it.

?

I was researching my first SA dagger, with many of you helped me with. In the few months I have been here I have learned more than I had learned in my previous 3 years of collecting. Could not be happier to be here with such a great bunch of guys and gals!

?

Well for me it was a case of a hand me down laptop, and the wife saying why dont you do something with it instead of looking at Youtube every day for military quizes, i found a link , realised that i might have something to offer so i joined , Ade and Dimas were the first to welcome me and since then i have made numerous friends of like minded people and been lucky enough to meet quite a few although one of them is Steve T who constantly insults me , abuses me , and refers to me as the old git and phones me constantly just to add more insults to injury , but apart from that i have not only learnt so much more but enjoyed every minute of it and you can teach an old dog new tricks , but dont tell Steve T !!!!!, another aspect that is so prevalent here is the vast knowledge of the members , this is what makes this forum the best of its kind

Gary J mentioned this new forum being created and asked me over. Until then I’d spent most of my time on the WAF and AHF. Next thing was an email from Adrian Stevenson asking if I’d agree to mod a section devoted to Polish militaria.

Close to five years have since slipped by and in that time with the participation of our members and fellow mods Gary J, 4th Scorpion Stefan and Andrzejku I’m proud to say we’ve built the best English language site for the discussion of Polish militaria on the web. It’s been fun sharing and learning and developing friendships with good people who share the same collecting illness!

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast