Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you know it is original ?

Article about: Hi Whenever I let some people see my collection the most commonly asked question is ,How do you know this is original and that is original ?. Just wondering if any of my fellow collectors ex

Default How do you know it is original ?

Hi
    Whenever I let some people see my collection the most commonly asked question is ,How do you know this is original and that is original ?. Just wondering if any of my fellow collectors experience this and how do you convince them that they are original.

Thanks Martin

Default Re: How do you know it is original ?

Well for me most of my items are TR, and most people are in the dark about these items still being available, or anyone collecting them, or even wanting them, they usually say no way, or ask thats real? followed by, I dont beleive it, or why do you have it? I then proceed to tell them its all fake and to get the F out of my house lol just kidding, what I do is show them a few good books for reference and tell them how most of the items are trophies of war brought back by vets, I also tell them my items are either from the vets, from reputable dealers, and all the items have been shown and approved by experts who have been collecting for years, I try to give them the most possible amount of knowledge and historical info in the shortest amount of time, I tell them its important to rememeber and preserve the history of those who lived and died during the war, and you cant prove the sacrifce of the good without showing the demise of the evil, then they start to understand how these items still exist and can easily be proven genuine, at which point they do this and run out of my house lol

Most of my collection is made up of items that nobody could possibly doubt were original because of the nature of what they are. But if I'm ever asked if a grenade is real, I give it them to hold and tell them to pull the pin out and see what happens.

hahahahahahahhaaha i have done the same with the grenade!!!!!! And my friend was like "wtf are you talking about? i'm in no way doing it" and then i pulled the pin and threw it on the floor right before his feet!!!!

I only show a very few people my collection and that is after first 'screening' them to ensure they aren't going to run off screaming "NEO-NAZI"!

I find that my 2 minute explanation of what I collect and why, followed by observing their reaction is sufficient to decide if they are worthy of a viewing.

Good thread!! I find it interesting that people will deny its originality but feel the original items are for those who are high end collectors,,and not bottom end feeders. They think because they think they know you that you could not possibly have enough intelligence to collect this stuff..and to be able to tell the difference if it is real or not........And why you collect it to begin with.

They ask me "how do you know its real?"................I say in reply..."Its the same thing with me assuming you have a brain in your head,,but yet I cant see it,,,can you prove it to me...as i can prove to you the relaity of what I collect,,but for some reason,, If I cant see your brain,,,, then you dont have one....so guess what ,,I have to take your word for it and vice versa....and your breath is original as it is bad and unique,,which cant be copied.(End Quote)

Most of the time I bring up the American Civil war and compare the 2 and from that point they gain an understanding. But still think Im a wacko for collecting this stuff.....all because of what someone else told them that it was bad.......the biggest thing that makes them beleive is the actual worth of the items ,,then they begin to pay attention
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I get that sometimes; people assuming my lids must be fakes. In the end I now just say that it takes experience to tell the difference, that originals fall into accepted patterns on the whole and you learn to interpret what you see systematically. Much easier to say something like that than to go into the minute detail of a decal for example, with somebody who has no interest in the minutiae of the hobby.

It also shuts them up, as that argument also insists that any outsider cannot tell the difference, which is convenient.

The only people who have seen my collection are close friends and family members. The first question I get asked is "how much is this worth" followed by "how do you know it's real?". Instead of explaining how I know it's real, I just say "it is". That usually suffices. It's funny how all of us get asked the exact same question, with the same wording and everything.

Outside of my family the only person that has seen my collection is Eric Zentner.
    So only another collector has seen it.
    chris

?

I suppose i can count myself as lucky because my closest friends are mainly ex military therefore either have an interest or collect alao ,my immediate family could 'nt care less except my youngest daughter who likes to look at it and has been to two arms fairs with me ,one of which i had to convince her NOT to buy an MG 34 and a 700 quid samurai sword which would have caused WW3 at home and i daresay the wife would have removed vital parts of my anatomy with the sword , but even some of my daughters girlfriends like to handle the grenades and daggers and bayonets ,mind you there are a couple who want to wear the helmets when they visit their boyfriends,which i find highly suspicious and wonder what ive missed out on over the years!!!!!!!??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast