Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

How old were you when you started collecting?

Article about: by PHILBROWN like to hear more about the story with the bmw in afrika stuka,,, I spend most of my youth in equatorial Africa from the east to the west coast. In Kinshasa my parents knew a Du

Default Re: How old were you when you started collecting?

I seem to be falling in with the majority, as I started collecting at 12 years old

Rob

I'm going to take a guess and say I was about 10 or 11 years of age. My grandparents were always antique collectors and thats how I really started. My grandma would take me to Estate sales, Garage sales, and things of that nature. The fact I spent a lot of time with my Pre-War baby dad probably helped matters. I was the only kid in class who on his weekend would actually have fun going to nursing homes. The people I met were amazing. I was not always fascinated by World War Two. My first area of interest actually was Mayan and Aztec civilization. Then it was the American Civil War and then World War One and then World War Two. But It's been good for me, teaching me how to save money and things of that sort. But I love it and hopefully always will.

?

Hello gents myself I must started to buy "proper" Army kit when I was 12 it was the Falklands war"1982" that started it...I thought I could with some of that!!. So I jumped from Action man to hiding in bushes & getting covered in mud...Then alittle older Army camping as we call it on Exmoor... So if you were around on Exmoor 1985 & saw 3 boys/young men carrying a Uzi,No 4, & a wooden sten thats was us loonies!!!.Then I joined the Army & it isnt the same.. & I sold all my Army kit..Just starting up again.. Ahem thats my life story...minus the drinking,fighting,sh*gging.... Terry.

CBH
    ?

As with most 10-12 years old when I started all this craziness . I made models and played guns , then a friend showed up to play guns with a British helmet on ! He got it from a local junk shop and I was hooked , couldn't believe you could buy this stuff . That was 30 years ago , traded away a lot of great stuff for crap Water Protection Police Dagger for a SA dagger ! But live and learn I guess , still have the EK 1 screw back I got for 5$ in high school . Just wish I had have picked up more Allied stuff when it was cheap and plentiful , local junk shop sold spike bayonet for tent pegs for a dollar . And battle dress was everywhere . Helmets 5$ etc

?

At about 11 yrs for me. My elder brother dug up an M36 grenade case and gave
    it to me. Once I started, my father began to bring stuff home from his workmates. Medals, helmets etc. I remember him telling me that £7.50 was far too much for a German helmet that the Polish veteran wanted for it!
    I also remember hurtling down the street on a homemade cart wearing a wartime RAC lid.
    Happy times.

Photograph of the (restored and painted) offending article below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aj4010; 04-25-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I was about 7, Around August 1968 I found a US Army Command Sgt Major patch in the top of a closet. My folks said they had hid it there the Christmas before and had forgotten to give it to me. I have been addicted ever since.

Burt

Great stories so far. Very enjoyable reading.

I'd have to say I started around 8-10 years old. I was big into the American Civil War. I grew up in a location central to many historic American places. One hour from Antietam (Sharpsburg) battlefield. Thirty minutes from Gettysburg PA battlefield. Forty five minutes from Fort McHenry in Baltimore (Star Spangled Banner/War of 1812) The list goes on and on. I started collecting small Civil War items, relics and such, as the big items were out of my small range of piggy bank savings. I fell out of collecting for a good while during high school and college. Then I studied up on American Revolution and discovered Colonial Williamsburg was only three short hours away. Discovered Revolution relics are expensive or all in museums, but I still love to read about it. Next up was WWII and here I am today with a growing Third Reich collection and a nagging wife who can't tolerate any of it (to her credit she is a fantastic woman and mother and I truly love her despite her attitude towards TR items) Ahhhh, the joys of being a history buff and collecting relics that people don't understand.

Happy hunting!

I was 8 years old growing up in Germany, when I found 2 Luftwaffe Rucksacks in a family friends' barn and was allowed to keep them...didn't take me long to develop a nose for the stuff, going into abandoned houses and bunkers bringing home all sorts of great items...and reading everything I could get my hands on, as this was long before the Internet...got my first Stahlhelm at 10, and I drove my mother crazy until she bought it for me. I was playing army with Wehrmacht gear as a kid, and the look from the old neighbors, who were all WH veterans...they'd just shake their head, lol...My grandmother was in the BdM, and I'd drive her crazy too asking her questions about the war...

?

I started at 13. Stopped at around 17 to focuse on my music and recently got back into it! I had always been fascinated by WWII but when I went to a small museum in normandy and saw that the guy running the place actually had stuff to sell.... I couldn't believe it was possible to own pieces of history. Bought myself a nice m1910 canteen set that day!
    Larry

I wish I still had all the stuff that I had collected when I was young; V2 parts, bits off a B17-G, 2 Mills Bombs, + all the other bits that had been given to me by older relations and friends. Anyway back to the question, I started collecting when I was at primary school. I was lucky enough to have a best friend at that school who owned, sorry officer - His dad owned, 2 Lee-Enfields and a Luger, we both had a fascination with all things Military, and were both going to join up as soon as we were old enough.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast