Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to repair the butyl rubber on an ABC-M17 gas mask

Article about: I recently purchased an ABC-M17 gas mask, while taking the old filters out, I tore a part of the rubber.I want to repair the mask but keep it as original as possible. Experts I need your hel

Default How to repair the rubber on an ABC-M17 gas mask

I recently purchased an ABC-M17 gas mask, while taking the old filters out, I tore a part of the rubber.I want to repair the mask but keep it as original as possible. What is the best adhesive to use for this gas mask's rubber? Experts I need your help!

Thank you

Ian T.
    Last edited by ianlukeind; 02-25-2015 at 04:21 AM.

Here's a pic of the tear
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Maybe bicycle patch can work? Or this special cement they use for repairing the diving wetsuits.

I have no experience in repairing gas masks, this is just general suggestions. Hope you manage to fix it.

I confirm,bicycle tyres glue,used with a piece of a rubber patch.
    But absolutely no cyanocrylate glue(crazy glue) that will cook the rubber and make it fall in pieces.

I appreciate it guys, also if you know of any adhesives that are good for the rubber on my M17 please let me know.
    Last edited by ianlukeind; 02-25-2015 at 04:22 AM.

You might try contacting someone who deals in rubber boats, as in Zodiac's, dingy's, etc.
    The adhesive would likely be stronger than bicycle tire glue.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

sorry to hear about the damage caused but as those cheek filters are so hard to replace its easily doneit sounds like you have had some great advice so good luck with the repair

Im thinking of using this Dap 18188 - DAP® BUTYL-FLEX Gutter and Flashing Sealant (aluminum gray) - 10.1 fl.oz. - The Hardware Hut it has the butyl rubber formula, and the mask is made of butyl rubber so Im assuming this would be a good choice

just noticed that one is gray... this one Krylon WL00114 White Butyl Caulk 10 ounce

Use urethane adhesive as it is black and remain flexible - same as used on car windows - it cleans with varsol and dries in 6-8 hrs - brand is sika

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast