Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ich bin in Berlin!

Article about: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after-...berlin-301743/

Default Ich bin in Berlin!

Hallo all- I haven't been so active lately on the forum due to how busy I've been with college deadlines, but that's all done with for now. A week ago, I arrived in Berlin for the first time, with my girlfriend ('Interkosmos' on the forum). We're staying in East Berlin, in Prenzlauer Berg- right next to the Wasserturm, adjacent to which used to reside Nazi Germany's first concentration camp (Wasserturm Prenzlauer Berg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). In terms of historical places, so far we have visited the Jewish Museum, the Brandenburg Gate, the Soviet memorial, the Nazi book burning memorial, the Eisenman memorial, and the site of the Fuhrerbunker. We have a whole list of things to do and see still, with my girlfriend having been to Berlin 3 times prior- but we'd love to hear any recommendations or suggestions of things to see or do, particularly details and locations that are perhaps lesser known. We're also of course very interested in knowing of any good places to seek militaria, so far all I've seen is obvious fakes aimed at unsuspecting tourists. Any non-historical suggestions are also welcome! We're going to be here for about another two weeks still. Whether during the trip or after, I will most definitely share my photos on here. It's a great place, and I'm very much enjoying myself so far!

Thanks, Mat

Default Re: Ich bin in Berlin!

I hope you two have a great time. Can't wait to see some pictures.
    One suggestion............Take me with you next time!

Luke

?

Hi Mat,

You need to visit the site that was the Gestapo HQ in Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse. You will also see remains of the Berlin wall and at the end of the street you will see Check Point Charlie.

Sachsenhausen KZ is a short train and bus ride away to Oranienburg if you're interested.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Mat

Try and get to the site of Lichterfelde barracks !

Berlin Lichterfelde Barracks

Have a great time

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I went through Checkpoint Charlie a couple of times when it was still being operated well over 30 years ago now when I was 14-15. It was pretty grim, the surrounding buildings were still bombed out and bullet riddled then, and there were hedgehog anti tank traps and mined areas behind the wire plus guard dogs, it was a bit of a no-mans-land sort of place. I thought that it had all been torn down or removed wholesale after reunification, is it still there then?

I remember that a couple of mates and I had some illicit booze, a few cans of rocket fuel lager called EKU I think, and a couple of Marvel comics and some sweets. When we got back on the bus on the East German side, prior to crossing to the West after the guards had searched it top to bottom, including running a trolley with a mirror fixed on it down either side of the bus to make sure no one was hanging off the exhaust pipe trying to escape, the buggers had pinched the lot!! Nothing was said so I bet they kept it themselves....

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else here had been through CC when it was still up and running proper, there must be??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Don't forget the Luftwaffe Museum closed Monday. Near Steinhoff Kasern!
    Cheers
    Michel

?

Ive visited Lichterfelde and its very impressive - especially if you do a bit of research via 'thirdreichinruins' and 'After The Battle.'

Do yourself a favour and go see the 'Flak Turm' in Humboldthain Park - huuuge!

Check out 'Berlin Unterwelten,' now you are at it.

?

I have been through CPC in '84 and '87. One of m class mates lost his passport in DDR so him and one of our teachers spent a full week in East German police station.....

You can also check out Humboldthein Fortress, or the remains of it.

Regards, Lars

Hi for militaria you can visit the friends from Militaria-Berlin.
    you can best call them for a visit.

Militaria-Berlin
    Christian von Eicke GmbH
    Berliner Straße 67
    D-16540 Hohen Neuendorf

Phone:
    (+49) 3303 210 98 53

I also recommend Lichterfelde Barracks if you can get in, I believe it has been taken over by the Bundesarchieve. It is still impressive from the street if you can't gain entry. Someone may know who to contact for a tour. When I was there I took a side trip to Sachenhausen Concentration Camp, its about 1/2 hour outside Berlin but well worth the trip, very sobering. As already said if you go to the Lichterfelde Barracks be sure to visit thirdreichinruins on line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast