View Poll Results: Europe or Japan ??

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • EUROPE

19 90.48%
  • JAPAN

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Article about: QUOTE=AmericanKraut;668767]I would pick ETO fighting the Germans, so I could pick up some souvenirs and tour where my family is from since Im to poor for both currently. The only reason I wo

Default If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

If you had the choice of what theater to fight in what would it be ?
    The harsh snowy winters in europe or the scorching devestating heat of Japan ?

- just a few facts. The gi's fighting in europe suffered severely in the snow, they would get terrible frostbite, the tips of there fingers would start breaking off. Also some Gi's would literally become frozen solid and die(you can see this in band of brothers)

- in Japan the heat would exceed over a hundred degrees making the marines get heat exhaustion (pass out) There was also a lack of water. The gi's would be issued a canteen filled with water, when they finished it they would not even be able to fill there canteens back up from a lake because the japs would poison it. You can see this if you watch the move, the pacific.

So where would you rather fight in Europe with the Gi's or or with the marines in Japan ?

Default Re: If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Be careful with getting all of your facts from 'The Pacific' and 'Band of Brothers'. While they are very good, there was a lot more to WWII than what they portray. The 101st Division was in a very unique situation during the Battle of the Bulge, as were the 1st Marines at Peleliu. There was much more to each front than that. What I'm trying to say is that one can't make generalizations about an entire theatre of operations.

I think a better question would be: At which of the areas of operations would one be subjected to the most tolerable conditions?

I would go with Italy during the Summer of 1944, if I had a choice. I'd rather not go at all!

Default Re: If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Be careful with getting all of your facts from 'The Pacific' and 'Band of Brothers'. While they are very good, there was a lot more to WWII than what they portray. The 101st Division was in a very unique situation during the Battle of the Bulge, as were the 1st Marines at Peleliu. There was much more to each front than that. What I'm trying to say is that one can't make generalizations about an entire theatre of operations.

I think a better question would be: At which of the areas of operations would one be subjected to the most tolerable conditions?

I would go with Italy during the Summer of 1944, if I had a choice. I'd rather not go at all!
    Thanks for the reply, I just was thinking this question in my mind and decided to share it with you guys, thought it would make a good conversation. And I wouldnt want to be in the situation either, but in ww2 if you were drafted you had to lol

?

Malta, that's the Mediterranean theater. Horrible starvation and disease, but in terms of heat, it's pretty bearable (30-45 Celsius). North Africa would suit me fine too.

Despite being from the north, I rather enjoy extreme heat rather then extreme cold.

Nitram

Dom, you'll want to be very careful about the abbreviation for Japanese that you used. A lot of people find that offense.

I'll add that areas in Europe can also be hot and oppressive/ dusty/ humid... although probably not as bad as the South Pacific. I have never been so hot as the one time I was by the water in Crotone, Italy... I thought I was going to die!

To make a long story short, I would not like to be a Japanese POW!
    Thanks, Glen.

I would much rather fight against the normal German army... NOT the SS. With that being said, I'd prefer not to NEVER come up against the Japanese in WWII. Fighting to the last man, suicide charges and consistently not surrendering regardless of the odds doesn't sound at all attractive to me.

I would pick Germany because the jas were know for there torture when they captured an enemy. They would put a hose in there mouth and fill them with water than jump on them causing there stomach to explode, making there internal organs come out. Also they would tie you down put a bamboo plant under you and let it grow through you. They were also known to take off your finger nails than put salt and vinegar on the tips of your fingers causing hem to rot away. If Germany captured you they would keep you prisoner or shoot you. They didn't really torture.

I am not to sure i would fancy choosing to fight a particular enemy one way or the other as an ex service man from the UK ,but please just remember that the second world war was fought by "MOST" nationalities not just our great friends and allies the USA.My grandfather was on SWORD BEACH, my other grandfather fought up from NORTH AFRICA through to ITALY and some of my other relatives fought in BURMA(a very unpleasent place away from home!!)

?

I find this an interestng subject and having lived in Northern Canada for many years and working outside in the extremes compared to living on Vancouver Island were we now reside I would much rather have thought in the ETO .I find the heat and high humidity here on the Island in the summer time unbearable some days and the air so thick you can near cut it with a knife so I can only imagine what fighting in the pacific would have been like . At least you can dress for the cold and add layers.
    When I look at the equipment that was used in the ETO I can see why so many froze to death or got frost bite for the most part I think Allied soldiers were very under equiped to deal with the winter conditions in Europe.

Regards Mark K

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast