Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Inanity

Article about: Hello everyone, I hope that I am not committing a big 'no-no' here but I have been biting my tongue long enough. I have noticed that there are certain people that are selling things in the f

Default Inanity

Hello everyone,

I hope that I am not committing a big 'no-no' here but I have been biting my tongue long enough. I have noticed that there are certain people that are selling things in the forums 'sale section' for absolute insane prices. I understand that one can ask what one wants but I got the distinct feeling that this place was different than the "other" forums out there. I felt a sense of camaraderie here that I haven't felt on any other militaria forums...that is why this is my "home" as far as posting my findings and additions to my collection. In that spirit it would just fry my hide to see a less experienced collector stumble upon one of these listings and shell out 4,5 or even 10 times what something is worth. Just because it isn't breaking any of the forums rules doesn't make it right in my opinion. I hold this place in higher regard than that...hopefully others feel the same way.

Respectfully,

Chrys Alexander

***I just realized that this isn't posted in the appropriate place...please feel free to move it!

Default Re: Inanity

Hi Chrys, moved it here.

No worries on the subject matter.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade

?

You're correct, it's not right but we have no place to tell someone what they should ask for an item. We can all advise but ultimately anyone can ask whatever they want for an item they own (and in some cases items they don't own!) and at the end of the day, anyone can choose whether or not they wish to pay the asking price.
    Sometimes this is done with intent and sometimes through ignorance. Someone who knows nothing about these items but has been told anything militaria related is worth mega bucks, especially if it has a swastika feels justified in asking a high price. A quick internet search might also throw up results that reflect a high price, hence the continuation of this trend.
    As most of us have an 'area' in which we collect we know a fair price for an item and what we want to pay for such a piece. Unfortunately, sellers might not have this experience or are just chancers hoping they can get a sale.
    It may also be a case that the seller has bought an item and paid a high price for it themselves, are trying to recoup their money and make up for their mistake.

Buyers can influence the trend to a certain extent by simply not paying high prices for these items. But there is nothing much anyone can do if someone wants to pay twice what an item is worth. The onus is on the potential buyer to do a little research first or ask the question but if they're happy to pay a high price then so be it, it really has nothing to do with the rest of us if the buyer is happy.

If they're not happy they only have themselves to blame for not being prudent in what they do with their cash.

The overpriced items in the classifieds will remain there for a long time........

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Im mainly here for the historical info, so hadnt noticed.

You are right about the camraderie (I hope)

Hello Adrian,

I appreciate what you are saying. I still consider myself a young collector (32 years old) but even at a young age I understood that there has to be sustainability in order for us to continue to preserve history for generations to come. Just like everything else in the world money has become more important than the history...where there is a buck to be made someone will be right there. Running a website myself I know this as much as anyone...it is a tight rope walk...I try to get things for the best price I can get so that I can pass that along to someone else. Just because I can charge what I want and perhaps someone will pay does not make it right in my opinion. I think that in most cases it has less to do with a seller not knowing what they are selling and more to do with greed.

Call me naive I guess.... but I just felt compelled to say something about it...I usually stay clear of things like this but I just had to say something!

Respectfully,
    Chrys Alexander

?

Quote by winterhilfswerk Book View Post
    Hello Adrian,

I appreciate what you are saying. I still consider myself a young collector (32 years old) but even at a young age I understood that there has to be sustainability in order for us to continue to preserve history for generations to come. Just like everything else in the world money has become more important than the history...where there is a buck to be made someone will be right there. Running a website myself I know this as much as anyone...it is a tight rope walk...I try to get things for the best price I can get so that I can pass that along to someone else. Just because I can charge what I want and perhaps someone will pay does not make it right in my opinion. I think that in most cases it has less to do with a seller not knowing what they are selling and more to do with greed.

Call me naive I guess.... but I just felt compelled to say something about it...I usually stay clear of things like this but I just had to say something!

Respectfully,
    Chrys Alexander
    I completely agree with everything you say Chrys! It takes allsorts to make the world and the same applies to militaria collectors. There are those with ethics and those with none.

I also still consider myself to be a young collector too.......

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I completely agree with everything you say Chrys! It takes allsorts to make the world and the same applies to militaria collectors. There are those with ethics and those with none.

I also still consider myself to be a young collector too.......
    Sorry ???
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Sorry ???
    Apology accepted Nick.

Even i am starting to get this bit of medieviel jousting!!!Top fun lads, keep it up.