Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inside Hitler's Bunker by William Vandivert

Article about: Simply framed and highly symbolic, what a truly brilliant piece of photojournalism! image.jpg Taken July 1945 inside Hitler's bunker by US photographer William Vandivert, the first Western p

Default Inside Hitler's Bunker by William Vandivert

Simply framed and highly symbolic, what a truly brilliant piece of photojournalism!

image.jpg

Taken July 1945 inside Hitler's bunker by US photographer William Vandivert, the first Western photographer to gain access to Hitler’s Führerbunker after the fall of Berlin.

And I wonder how much would that cap fetch on the collectors' market today?

image.jpg
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-15-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I see somebody has already stolen the eagle!...

I bet someone has this hat right now and doesnt know its the one in this image

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I see somebody has already stolen the eagle!...
    ...you're right but it looks like it was a bit of a struggle

Inside Hitler's Bunker (11).jpg

Below: I am surprised that there is still so much left in the bunker considering it is July 1945?

4refugio.jpg

Inside Hitler's Bunker (3).jpg

Inside Hitler's Bunker (2).jpg
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

and to think most of that is still down there.

Its now a parking lot and you'd have to go over and read a historical sign to know it even existed. It was demolished and there is nothing down there except old concrete. There have been many shows on cable about this very thing.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    and to think most of that is still down there.
    There'd be a lot less of it down there if I had my way!

I remember reading somewhere that the place was under strict guard by French and/or Soviet troops. It seems likely to me that they left everything how it was in order to leave potential war crimes evidence intact.

I've seen some pics of the bunker after it was partially uncovered in the late 80's or early 90's and although it was badly damaged and partially collapsed, you could see quite a bit of gear still in there but it was difficult to make out what any of it was.

As I recall, way back when Roger Waters did the Wall live in Berlin (in ´89 or ´90) they came across an old bunker when they put up the stage etc. I cannot remember if it was part of the Führerbunker or another part of the complex but either way they sent someone down the old bunker with cameras and loads of stuff still in situ, albeit rusty because of flooding. I have not come across this clip again since but it was part of an MTV feature and I remember them coming across helmets, radios, an MG 42 etc. Very cool. As a result I became completely sold on Battlefield archeology and wished I had been there as well. Had to wait until 2002 before I finally came across, and subsequently joined, the Legenda search group in Latvia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast