Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting story

Article about: Hi guys, I wanted to share this with you. I have been a black belt for around 10 years now, and have know my Karate teacher the same ammount. Just today, I noticed he had two French berthier

Default Interesting story

Hi guys, I wanted to share this with you. I have been a black belt for around 10 years now, and have know my Karate teacher the same ammount. Just today, I noticed he had two French berthier bayonets, a bayonet from WW1, a Russian nagant, and a 1917 trench knife. I asked him about it, and he told me he was in the military. The man is around 95 years old. He said he served in Europe (I think he is Polish, Czech) and when he came here, he got acquired them some how. He started to use them and teach with them in the 50's, 60's, like how to defend your self from an attack. To my amazement, all 4 of the edged weapons and pistol are in great condition. I just wanted to tell you guys. I might try to ask him more about his military career, or try to take pictures of his items.

?

Default Re: Interesting story

Good Idea, and of course be patient and dont try to pry at his military experiences if it seems like he doesnt want to "go there". You can still have great respect for the man even if he does not share any "war stories" with you. I think it would be neat to photograph his items too. What was his reaction to your interest in ww2? The vet I recently spoke to in a nursing home seemed suprised that I would even be interested in WW2 as I most likely seemed very young to him. haha however he changed the subject on the war very quickly, so I got the hint that he was not interested in voicing any memories that day. good luck

Default Re: Interesting story

Trust me, the man has known me for 10 11 years. He is like my third Grandfather. He told me about some of his service. His friend told me he was kicked out for unknown reasons. He said that is really good to collect it. I ALWAYS tell him my grades in school. He doesn't like B+'s or lower. I will ask him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind becuase he let me hold all of them.