Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Interesting war Movies

Article about: Hi all, This topic always creates a good talking point, whether you like or dislike a particular movie for whatever reason, but I thought I would start off with some of my favourites, I have

Default Re: Interesting war Movies

All my choices have already been covered......Except my absolute favourite one.Who says all warfilms must be ww2? This one really stirs a patriotic feeling in me, great story, great acting and a nice 'war is hell' kinda ending. Gentlemen, i give you ......ZULU!!!

"Sir, lookout reports Zulu's to the south west......Thousands of 'em."

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

3mk
    ?

Katyn and theres also a Polish movie called Kanal its about the last days of the Warsaw uprising both movies were directed by the same director

Quote by big ned View Post
    All my choices have already been covered......Except my absolute favourite one.Who says all warfilms must be ww2? This one really stirs a patriotic feeling in me, great story, great acting and a nice 'war is hell' kinda ending. Gentlemen, i give you ......ZULU!!!

"Sir, lookout reports Zulu's to the south west......Thousands of 'em."

Regards, Ned.
    Ned...sorry mate you got it wrong, it was " Fathzonds of 'em

Brilliant film, except for the end when they are 3 ranks, and happen to be using SMLE's !!! anyone notice that before?

?

enemy at the gates
    saving private ryan
    band of brothers
    the pianist
    flags of our fathers
    letters from iwa jima
    saints & soldiers
    sands of iwa jima
    kellys heroes
    the longest day
    das boot
    Schindler's list
    platoon (vietnam)
    apocalypse now (vietnam)
    tiger land (vietnam)
    we were soldiers (vietnam)
    black hawk down

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Ned...sorry mate you got it wrong, it was " Fathzonds of 'em

Brilliant film, except for the end when they are 3 ranks, and happen to be using SMLE's !!! anyone notice that before?
    Your bang on there Johnno,!

They had a limited stock of Martini-Henry rifles, so filled out the rest of the 'extra's' with smellie's.You can see them in quite a few different scenes.

Talking of which, the officers Chard and Bromhead(Stanley Baker and Michael Caine) are using Mk VI Webley Service revolvers, all very good, but they didn't come into service until 1915!

Regards, Ned.

C.S Bourne: "It's a miracle."
    Lt.Chard: "If it's a miracle,Colour sargeant, it's a short chamber Boxer-Henry point four-five calibre miracle."
    C.S Bourne: "And a bayonet sir,....With some guts behind it."
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

These are all the war movies i own-

A bridge too far.
    The Dam Busters .
    We Dive At Dawn .
    The Guns Of Navarone .
    Reach For The Sky .
    Where Eagles Dare .
    The eagle has landed.
    The Bridge On The River Kwai
    Force 10 From Navarone
    kellys heros.
    battle of the bulge.
    Hell in the pacific.
    Saints and soldiers.
    Saving private ryan.
    Stalingrad.
    Svezda(Star)
    letters from Iwo jima.
    tora tora tora.
    The dirty dozen.
    The great escape.
    Fly boys.
    Last edited by Darren Lillington; 04-19-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Dresden by Roland Suso Richter coming up tonight! I'll tell you what later on.

?

All of the above mentioned films ,great, but has anyone seen Breakthrough , This was a followup to Cross of Iron and starred Richard Burton as Steiner , he played it completely different from Coburn in the fact that he was becoming even more disolutioned with the war and even to the point that he just wanted to give up. It was a very differnt type of war film

?

Oh forgot to mention a lovely little film called Went the day well about a group of German paras dressed up as british tommies taking over a small village ,ringing a bell with anyone, yes The Eagle has landed, only this film was made in the 40s. Its well acted by all in the cast and its a real stiff upper lip moral booster, they used real soldiers from one of the local regiments , I think The Gloucesters who finally crushed the invaders,oh and they also had a fifth columnist who helps the invaders,wonder where TEHL got the idea from?

?

here's a few that no one has mentioned, so good some BAD

A matter of life and death (Powell-Pressburger)
    If you never seen this I would highly recommend it, shot in both Monochrome colour and full colour film and very much ahead of its time in both the plot and special effects.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Powell-Pressburger again)
    "But war starts at midnight!"

Night of the generals
    A 1960's start studded cast list of all the top actors of the period, heavy strong plot line and very worth watching.

Triple Cross
    Christopher Plummer as Eddie chapman, light hearted wartime espionage film based on a true story. Cast also includes Trevor Howard in his normal crusty officer role, Yul Brynner who did'nt make enough films before his untimly death as far as I'm concerned, and also goldfinger himself Gert Frobe.

Ice Cold in Alex
    Good British stiff upper lip stuff, strong British cast most playing there normal on screen roles Johns Mills (the officer) Harry Andrews (the Nco) and Anthony Quayle ( the Nazi spy) with Sylvia Syms as the love interest.

"remember sir! Katy weights all of two tons!" Now that's what I call a women LOL

The Hill
    A class house in the middle east, run by an incompetent senior officer and a sadistic bunch CMP guards. A very strong British cast of actors including Connery, Redgrave, Andrews (an NCO yet again) and Roy Kenner who was a very fine and much under rated actor and sence stealer just watch "Juggernaut " and you'll see what I mean.

Thousand bomber raid.
    Get out your shotguns boys I feel a turkey shot coming on. This film is so bad you could serve it up as Christmas diner, however the stunt with the B-17 defies belief so its worth watching for that alone. But I've warned you its a real TURKEY with all the trimmings.

Operation crossbow.
    Carlo Ponti film, so hence has Mrs Ponti (Sophia Loren) in, which is by no means a bad thing, but her characters role does seem to take over the entire film when in fact this is a very minor plot diversion, again a very good cast of British and American actors, including George Peppard, Jeremy Kemp, Richard Todd, Trevor Howard, John Mills,Tom Courtenay, Anthony Quayle, Sylvia Syms.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast