Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Interesting war Movies

Article about: Hi all, This topic always creates a good talking point, whether you like or dislike a particular movie for whatever reason, but I thought I would start off with some of my favourites, I have

Default Re: Interesting war Movies

A Bridge To Far.
    Nothing better than seeing men from the Corps of Royal Engineers get some Bailey Bridge smashed in.

?

Since everyone is mentioning great war movies, I thought I'd mention one that makes me want to puke my brains out: Inglorious Bastards.

It amazes me how many people (in America anyway) think this is an incredibly good movie. My co-workers wouldnt shut up about how great it is, and the director is a genius, etc. I hated it. I knew it wasnt going to be a true war movie, but I didnt expect it to be as terrible as it was. But what made it worse was that it was a boarder-line comedy. People in the theatre were cracking up. Afterwards I heard people talking about how they "didnt realize that Nazi's were like that". One guy even said "I always wondered how Hitler died". If you havent seen the movie, I wont 'ruin' it for you, but in general it is Historical fiction, making a mockery of the war, soldiers, victims, etc. They even went so far as to have Hitler wearing a Nazi flag as a cape while throwing a tantrum. I've never been so angry to have spent money on a movie in my life

I think" The Thin Red Line" is a very thoughtful and well made film.

Martin

?

Yes youre right nige all good and bad ,seen every one of them, Aces High with Malcome Mc Dowell another good one but theres one that every ones left out and for the life om i cant remember its full title ......Trumpets or Trumpets......,all about american troops in the Ardennes i think.. one hell of a good film with one very poinient scene towards the end where the lead character walks down a line of dead GIs and picks up a pair of boots and checks them for size and walks away

Quote by davejb View Post
    Yes youre right nige all good and bad ,seen every one of them, Aces High with Malcome Mc Dowell another good one but theres one that every ones left out and for the life om i cant remember its full title ......Trumpets or Trumpets......,all about american troops in the Ardennes i think.. one hell of a good film with one very poinient scene towards the end where the lead character walks down a line of dead GIs and picks up a pair of boots and checks them for size and walks away
    When Trumpets Fade. I was wondering why nobody mentioned this one. I was a pretty good one.
    Another one I haven't seen mention is "A Midnight Clear"

Quote by mauser98k View Post

Martin
    I liked it too! The "Thin Red Line" is loosely based on a James Jones book, and has some recreated scenes of real life events, according to his book "WWII". The wife HATES it, but I think it is a very under-rated film ! ( Maybe you have to have read the book first, as I did ! )

I also liked "When Trumpets Fade". It could have been made from the German perspective as well. One of my favorites, not mentioned yet is: "All Quiet On The Western Front". Both the 1920's silent version with Lew Ayres, and the 1970's remake with Ernest Borgnine and (?!!?) Richard Thomas. I think this is Thomas' finest piece in his whole acting career ! - I haven't yet found any copies of it.

Another Hollywood film "To Hell And Back" features Audie Murphy and his real-life exploits of rising in the ranks and earning himself the Congressional Medal Of Honor. As a kid, I liked him a lot in "The Red Badge Of Courage" which also starred Pulitzer Prize-winning WWII cartoonist, Bill Mauldin !

I especially liked the Napoleonic "Sharpe" series immensely too !

I pretty much like every war film already mentioned as well, and I think we all own a large number of them ! !

Regards, Steve.

Quote by mauser98k View Post

Martin
    Indeed,my fav too with the BOB's episode Crossroads,when Winters begins his "run for his life",I think nobody filmed duty like that before.

?

One of my favorites, not mentioned yet is: "All Quiet On The Western Front". Both the 1920's silent version with Lew Ayres, and the 1970's remake with Ernest Borgnine and (?!!?) Richard Thomas. I think this is Thomas' finest piece in his whole acting career ! - I haven't yet found any copies of it.
    Regards, Steve.[/QUOTE]

Ok guys.

Thought that it was about time to stick my 2 pennorth in on this discussion at last.

Steve, I'm one up on you as regards "All Quiet". I've got a copy of both on that "old fashioned" medium called video tape. I actually managed to get the remake before the original version.

All good films listed so far and I would agree with them all. Anyway, here are my personal favourites, in no particular order.

A Bridge Too Far
    All Quiet on the Western Front (Both versions)
    Das Boote (Extended play, directors cut in German!)
    Great Escape
    Went the Day Well
    Dawn Patrol
    Thin Red Line
    Windtalkers
    The Enemy Within
    Zulu
    The Longest Day
    Valkyrie
    Dambusters
    The Wooden Horse
    Ice Cold In Alex
    We Were Soldiers
    Enemy at the Gates
    Cross of Iron

I could add many more, but I think that I better stop for now!!

?

Although not strictly a film but a series we in the UK had TENKO about women pows in a japanese pow camp it was very well made and had some big names in it, one of them Stephanie Beacham,who i worked with on TV series Bad Girls told me that the camp was in an old quarry but i cant remember where, but when filming a scene where they were supposed to be sweating in a jungle they were in fact freezing their bits off.

Quote by jimpy View Post
    One of my favorites, not mentioned yet is: "All Quiet On The Western Front". Both the 1920's silent version with Lew Ayres, and the 1970's remake with Ernest Borgnine and (?!!?) Richard Thomas. I think this is Thomas' finest piece in his whole acting career ! - I haven't yet found any copies of it.
    Regards, Steve.
    Ok guys.

Thought that it was about time to stick my 2 pennorth in on this discussion at last.

Steve, I'm one up on you as regards "All Quiet". I've got a copy of both on that "old fashioned" medium called video tape. I actually managed to get the remake before the original version.

All good films listed so far and I would agree with them all. Anyway, here are my personal favourites, in no particular order.

A Bridge Too Far
    All Quiet on the Western Front (Both versions)
    Das Boote (Extended play, directors cut in German!)
    Great Escape
    Went the Day Well
    Dawn Patrol
    Thin Red Line
    Windtalkers
    The Enemy Within
    Zulu
    The Longest Day
    Valkyrie
    Dambusters
    The Wooden Horse
    Ice Cold In Alex
    We Were Soldiers
    Enemy at the Gates
    Cross of Iron

I could add many more, but I think that I better stop for now!![/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention "Windtalkers" !
    - Even liked Nicholas Cage In that one ! !

Regards,

Steve.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast