Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Interesting war Movies

Article about: Hi all, This topic always creates a good talking point, whether you like or dislike a particular movie for whatever reason, but I thought I would start off with some of my favourites, I have

?

Default Re: Interesting war Movies

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Ok guys.

Thought that it was about time to stick my 2 pennorth in on this discussion at last.

Steve, I'm one up on you as regards "All Quiet". I've got a copy of both on that "old fashioned" medium called video tape. I actually managed to get the remake before the original version.

All good films listed so far and I would agree with them all. Anyway, here are my personal favourites, in no particular order.

A Bridge Too Far
    All Quiet on the Western Front (Both versions)
    Das Boote (Extended play, directors cut in German!)
    Great Escape
    Went the Day Well
    Dawn Patrol
    Thin Red Line
    Windtalkers
    The Enemy Within
    Zulu
    The Longest Day
    Valkyrie
    Dambusters
    The Wooden Horse
    Ice Cold In Alex
    We Were Soldiers
    Enemy at the Gates
    Cross of Iron

I could add many more, but I think that I better stop for now!!

I forgot to mention "Windtalkers" !
    - Even liked Nicholas Cage In that one ! !

Regards,

Steve.[/QUOTE]

..ahhh no you didn't. "Windtalkers" is nr 8 from the top on your list
    I liked that one too, but then again I like most war movies
    Even the japanese "Yamato" I thought was quite good.

I would also like to mention the two Eastwood movies: Flags of our fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

bridge over the river kwai?

How about "The Bold and the Brave" made in 1956. I was 10 when I first saw it, still remember it being a good one although not very well known. John

?

Just saw this movie one time : Wheels of terror ' the misfit brigade ' 1987 .
    Dave

Quote by AllanT View Post
    I forgot to mention "Windtalkers" !
    - Even liked Nicholas Cage In that one ! !

Regards,

Steve.
    ..ahhh no you didn't. "Windtalkers" is nr 8 from the top on your list
    I liked that one too, but then again I like most war movies
    Even the japanese "Yamato" I thought was quite good.

I would also like to mention the two Eastwood movies: Flags of our fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.[/QUOTE]

( AllanT, that was originally jimpy's post ! )

Steve.

?

A real rousing British film with Richard Todd, The Yangtse incident, a true story and they even used the real HMS Amethyst with a damn good supporting cast, including Dr who himself William Hartnell and that marvelous supporting actor Sam Kydd, a stalwart of many war films , who i believe was himself a POW during the war. Not to mention the stirring music, i still get the hairs stand up on my neck when the two ships meet and they cheer each other,thrilling...

I know this is an old thread but I just finished a movie that should interest many, its titled "The Lost Battalion". Released in 2001 about the Argonne Forest in WWI. I thought it was spot on. John

I have seen that film on TV here--can't remember what it's called though. For an interesting war film I would nominate 'Theirs is the Glory'-British film made late 1945 about Arnhem-mostly starring actual participants on Parras side as well as Dutch civilians-also 2 running Panther tanks and a Tiger 2 hulk.

Talking of "Theirs is the Glory" in May I will be attending a presentation about the film being given by the directors great great nephew.

I knew one of the British Vets who took part in the film. Sadly he passed away last month.

Cheers, Ade.

?

As a very young boy i remember seeing fragments of a German film made during the war by a famous woman director about a luftwaffe stuka squadron, the uniforms were all real as was the outside shots of the stukas, and it had ground troops involved cheering on the aircraft as they swooped over the battle field, it was in full colour but in german and no subtitles, couldnt understand a word but it was a fantastic insight to original costumes and insignia

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast