Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"It's fake".

Article about: Two words which are really annoying. I'm talking about the replies to questions that consist of those two words. Why is it fake? How do you know it's fake? Why should I take your opinion at

Default Re: "It's fake".

everydays a school day as you say mate and always will be untill we are all dead, no one will ever know everything, i have seen much newer members give good info out and much older members giving bad, a true sign imo!

When I see that type of post, I usually request the poster expand upon his position so that the reason can be understoood and verified or debated by those who disagree.
    It's fake" educates no one.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    When I see that type of post, I usually request the poster expand upon his position so that the reason can be understoood and verified or debated by those who disagree.
    It's fake" educates no one.
    Well said Bob. Stewy

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    I personally would commend you - among others, Ned, for the manner in which you clarify faults with items that have been posted. Writing out a lengthy reply takes time, yet it benefits others who in turn, take the time to read and learn what is before them. Adrian's thread addresses an issue that affects every single member. Whether you are a newcomer or closing in on expert status, there are always things to learn. Learning and sharing is what makes the forum what it is.
    The cheque's in the post Carl....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

All fair points, but to some extend a lazy question warrants a lazy answer. Most of these sort of posts are from low posting or new members who seem to like the stuff but are interested in having someone else do the work for them. The post usually starts with "I saw this at a gunshow/antiquemall/garage sale/burger king is it real?" so if the answer is 'It's a fake' it is fair and in proportion to the nature of the question. Many people here have spent a lot of time gaining knowledge (and they are not always right either, old knowledge does not always mean accurate knowledge).

I have seen threads that have gone on for endless pages with exhaustive detail about for example, an attic find SS grouping, that ended up with the experts here having their noses out of joint because the person who had the stuff then used the information to sell the items. Nobody required the term paper answer to the questions, they enjoyed doing it and were willing to go on at length. Yes it was helpful, but if there is an unspoken expectation, then it should be spoken. If one wants to spend time and dispense elaborate information that is their choice but frankly shouldn't be expecting much in reply, yes a 'thank you' is the least courtesy, but often that is not forthcoming because the majority of these posters are not really engaged in the real forum or collecting community but are taking advantage of peoples good nature. What to do about that is up to each one of us to determine.

I don't think it is unreasonable or rude to tell a poster like this, it's no good, buy this book and deduce that for yourself - in the vast majority of cases it is not a unique item and another one will surely come along at a price that can be afforded.

I find myself more inclined to respond when the poster has set it up as - for example: "I saw this the other day, if appears to be a 'X' from what I know the key features of a real one are 'W,X,Y,Z' this has some, but not all tell tale signs of a genuine item, I haven't had much experience with known originals what do other people think?" Then a decent discussion will ensue. But at the end of the day, just because a forum likes it doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% bona fide, group consensus does not mean fidelity - Ask Galileo about that.

Anyway - my $0.02

Quote by asterperious View Post
    All fair points, but to some extend a lazy question warrants a lazy answer. Most of these sort of posts are from low posting or new members who seem to like the stuff but are interested in having someone else do the work for them. The post usually starts with "I saw this at a gunshow/antiquemall/garage sale/burger king is it real?" so if the answer is 'It's a fake' it is fair and in proportion to the nature of the question. Many people here have spent a lot of time gaining knowledge (and they are not always right either, old knowledge does not always mean accurate knowledge).

I have seen threads that have gone on for endless pages with exhaustive detail about for example, an attic find SS grouping, that ended up with the experts here having their noses out of joint because the person who had the stuff then used the information to sell the items. Nobody required the term paper answer to the questions, they enjoyed doing it and were willing to go on at length. Yes it was helpful, but if there is an unspoken expectation, then it should be spoken. If one wants to spend time and dispense elaborate information that is their choice but frankly shouldn't be expecting much in reply, yes a 'thank you' is the least courtesy, but often that is not forthcoming because the majority of these posters are not really engaged in the real forum or collecting community but are taking advantage of peoples good nature. What to do about that is up to each one of us to determine.

I don't think it is unreasonable or rude to tell a poster like this, it's no good, buy this book and deduce that for yourself - in the vast majority of cases it is not a unique item and another one will surely come along at a price that can be afforded.

I find myself more inclined to respond when the poster has set it up as - for example: "I saw this the other day, if appears to be a 'X' from what I know the key features of a real one are 'W,X,Y,Z' this has some, but not all tell tale signs of a genuine item, I haven't had much experience with known originals what do other people think?" Then a decent discussion will ensue. But at the end of the day, just because a forum likes it doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% bona fide, group consensus does not mean fidelity - Ask Galileo about that.

Anyway - my $0.02
    Much of what you say has merit. One of the founding principles of this Forum waa to be truly educational and not one of those Forums that runs like a wild west show. On other Forums, we see much of "its fake" comments without further expansion of why. You then see the uninformed pile on agreeing with a point of view they have no place offering an opinion on. I prefer that we stick with the ofunding principles of this place. If a poster uses our information to assist in selling an item, so be it. I draw the line on offering pricing on anything as the field is very subjective and we are not here to be a free evaluation service.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12