Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jesse James Treasure

Article about: A while back I saw the dig for Jesse James treasure on TV. I believe the loot was discovered in Kansas near some rocks with marked with the outlaws initials enscribed on it. Searches found l

Default Jesse James Treasure

A while back I saw the dig for Jesse James treasure on TV. I believe the loot was discovered in Kansas near some rocks with marked with the outlaws initials enscribed on it. Searches found lots Morgan gold and silver dollars buried in mason jars in various locations. Started to dig for a chest but would have to return with heavier equipment at a later date so the show went. Am sure others are aware of this program and would be interested to hear from forum members that could shed more light on this discovery and could offer any new news I am not aware of. Thanks for replies.

Default Re: Jesse James Treasure

I just love how clean the coins were.
    I saw the show did not care for it.look made up.
    the reason you have not heard any news is because it was fake.
    chris

?

did they put it in a glass mason jar?

Yes they did Colt. Would love to hear more of this.

In 35 years of looking for war relics,never found coins that clean.
    chris

Thanks for input Chris. Bad enough when we have to be on the lookout for faked or forgeries when collecting.

For one thing, Mason jars weren't in use much just after the Civil War. Glass canning jars weren't real big until the mid to late 1880's. Yes, the patent date on many jars reads 1858, but these jars were not Manufactured in that year-but much later. One of the largest jar companies-Ball Brothers in Muncie,IN did not make jars until 1885-and then only from their plant in New York for just a short time. The first large quantity glass jars they made in Muncie was not until 1888. Jessie James died in April of 1883. I rather doubt that he was in on the cutting edge of home canning and purchased quantities of glass jars just to bury loot in. Home canning was done almost exclusively at the time in crockery jars. Just more nonsense rubbish television programming....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

If it's news your'e after, this is from the 'Leaves of Gas' website, the official blogsite of Jesse and Frank James, run by one of their direct descendants. It gives details of the above mentioned History Channel programme and may be of interest to folks here who are unaware of the 'hidden treasure' story that this thread is all about.

"The History Channel is building a record for spreading bogus history.

In their former program American Experience about Jesse James, they falsely linked Jesse to the Ku Klux Klan. Worse yet, they put that false information in the materials they distribute to schools to be used with schoolchildren in history classes.

Now comes their production Jesse James’ Hidden Treasure. Also comes more bogus history.

The fake history starts with the opening lines, which claim Jesse stole $5 million. Detailed analysis by reputable historians account a total under $250,000.

From this point on, the History Channel falls off the foundation of factual history into the fantasy lives of treasure hunter Ron Pastore, and Hollywood hopeful Ralph Ganis, who represents himself as an historian.

Pastore’s record of treasure hunting includes digging up a deceased individual to prove he is the real Jesse James, grabbing the deceased’s dna to no avail, and operating a small town museum filled with fake artifacts, that his Oklahoma neighbors ruefully call his “fifteen minutes of fame.”

Ganis is a former career Air Force serviceman, with a claimed service record that doesn’t jibe with Air Force verifications. He was a mercenary in the unjustified Iraq War. He, too, has put fake and questionable artifacts in museums. Now, Ganis hopes to cut a swath in Hollywood as a Jesse James authority, based on two books he’s self published that are debunked by professional historians.

Pastore and Ganis are made for one another. Hardly a line in the History Channel script doesn’t begin with the phrase “Pastore believes…” The books by Ganis are filled with phrases like “It is believed…” and “It is possible…” To these two, facts are irrelevant. Truth requires no logic, nor explanation. Just take their word for it.

For all that Pastore and Ganis present, everything is secret, or a former secret, apparently known only to them. Astoundingly, all of the secrets they know have eluded the most intense scrutiny and investigation by professional investigators, criminologists, forensic scientists, historians, writers, and educators, for over 125 years.

Once more, Ganis introduces his fantasy of Jesse being part of the KKK. But no explanation follows. Just like Pastore, who doesn’t explain his fantasy of why Jesse hides treasure in Kansas, or why and how Jesse buried and hid gold coins in jars manufactured after 1910, thirty years after Jesse died. Logic? They don’t need no stinkin’ logic!

The failures and inconsistencies in the multiple fantasies of Pastore and Ganis are cumulative and monumental, if not pathetically pathological. Their script is expected to be debunked, dismantled and de-constructed, line by line, in a different kind of forum, yet to come.

When the message is so bad, the usual caveat warns against shooting the messenger. In this case the lie that is being put to factual history is so egregious that The History Channel well deserves to be shot, as do their guns for hire."

Let the jury discuss the evidence given here.......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    For one thing, Mason jars weren't in use much just after the Civil War. Glass canning jars weren't real big until the mid to late 1880's. Yes, the patent date on many jars reads 1858, but these jars were not Manufactured in that year-but much later. One of the largest jar companies-Ball Brothers in Muncie,IN did not make jars until 1885-and then only from their plant in New York for just a short time. The first large quantity glass jars they made in Muncie was not until 1888. Jessie James died in April of 1883. I rather doubt that he was in on the cutting edge of home canning and purchased quantities of glass jars just to bury loot in. Home canning was done almost exclusively at the time in crockery jars. Just more nonsense rubbish television programming....
    Sounds like a bit of a pickle.....(jar....)
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Glad to see I was not the only one the think that program was junk.

The history channel is just full of bad info.

chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast