Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Ju87 Stuka and FW200 Condor Losses ????

Article about: Hello all I'm new to this forum but its looks great, will post some pics of my new buys here in Norway soon. Wanting to know if any of you guys could lend a hand with the following I'm hunti

Talking Ju87 Stuka and FW200 Condor Losses ????

Hello all
    I'm new to this forum but its looks great, will post some pics of my new buys here in Norway soon.
    Wanting to know if any of you guys could lend a hand with the following
    I'm hunting down losses of the Ju87 and Fw200
    There were very few of these aircraft produced before and during the war so it seems like a easy amount to try and comple a loss sheet for.
    Details include Wrk No#, Sqn, Sqn Code, reason for loss , location of loss ect ect
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Kindest regards
    kiwiwreckdiver
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ju87 Stuka and FW200 Condor Losses ????

It's not quite that easy mate,

There were over 6,500 Junkers Ju87 Stuka's of varying marks built before and during the war, hardly a handful, and finding all the details that you want will be nigh on impossible to collate I'm afraid.

As regards the Focke-Wulf FW200 series, a total of 276 were built of which 263 were delivered to the Luftwaffe. The main user of these for anti shipping/ anti sub ops were Kampfgeschwader 40 based on the French Atlantic Coast. I would suggest you go down that route for your research into their losses. I know for a fact they lost at least 8 to structual failure on landing (fuselage failure behind the mainplane) and they also had a habit of breaking up in mid air when pushed into evasive manoveures, coupled with the fact that they could only just fly with 1 engine out, and fell out the sky if 2 were u/s. Then you need to look at their losses due to action, it's all a massive ask on your part and not as simple as you may think.

Then you need to look at losses when it was relegated to transport duties on the Eastern Front, a lot were lost then often under unknown circumstances, ferrying supplies to places like Stalingrad etc. Rather you than me!

A few did survive the war, but by 1950 all, including civil passenger carrying ones supplied to Spain before the war, were grounded and then scrapped due to severe corrosion issues. There is one being rebuilt in Germany at the moment that was recovered from Norway some years ago, but that's it.

So it's fair to say I think that your desire to document every loss of these aircraft are also rather intimidating, and nowhere near as easy as you have imagined.

Sorry about that, but I think it's a fair assumption tbh.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Just had a look around my books and found this regarding FW200 losses over and around Norway in 1940 around the time of the German invasion, in case you were specifically interested in this area.

According to reference:

1./KG40.

"21.04.1940 Loss of Fw 200C Oberleutnant Karl Beckhaus. Besides a crew of six also a war reporter was lost over the North Sea after a mission to Narvik had to be abandoned after meeting bad weather and icing conditions at Vestfjorden. Aircraft F8+CH turned south and is reported lost since then.

25.05.1940 Fw 200C piloted by Oberleutnant Helmut Schöpke was on a mission towards Narvik by three ‘Condors’ that day when attacked by Flying Officer Francis Grant Ede of 263 Sq RAF in his Gloster Gladiator over Harstad. The Condor caught fire and emergency landed around 11.00 a.m. at Finnøya in Hammarøy with one crew dead and the other becoming POWs. Two other wounded crew members were taken to hospital. No a/c identity given.

29.05.1940. Skarsfjord power station was attacked by two ‘Condors’ during midday. F.O. Neville Banks of 46Sq RAF in a Hurricane attacked the ‘Condor’ flown by Oberleutnant Günther Thiel which caught fire and went into the sea at Dyrøy in the Solbergsfjord at 4.p.m. and exploded during the landing with the loss of all six onboard. F.O. Banks was shot down and killed the same afternoon."

In a caption to a colour side view profile the author comments that this aircraft might be Fw 200C-1 F8+BH of 1./KG 40 which is resting at the bottom of the sea between Senja and the mainland.(See pic below).

References:
    'Condor Over Norge i 1940', Ulf Larsstuvold, 2011.

These aircraft would have been C-1 types, the earliest ones, and would probably been of the initial production W/n 0002, 0005, 0006 or 0011.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Big thanks for your time
    Have seen pictures on whats left of Karl Beckhaus FW200 left in the tides up North (just engines and landing gears)
    Fw.200-C1 Finnøy
    They are 2 German types that have always sparked my interest so I thougth I'd give it a go.
    Yes the Stuka list will be massive and incomplete but I've just started (2weeks ago)
    We all have to start some where right, I already have nealy 40+ Ju87 and about 20 Fw200. Its a start
    Thank you so much for your time
    Kind regards
    MISH

The book Fw-200 Condor by Jerry Scutts (ISBN: 978-0859791311) contains an almost complete loss list for the aircraft with crew names.