Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Just wondering...

Article about: why so many members here identify as SS Totenkopf in their avatars, or SA, or German regardless of branch of service? But the SS is the most disturbing... I don't need to go into details of

Default Just wondering...

why so many members here identify as SS Totenkopf in their avatars, or SA, or German regardless of branch of service?

But the SS is the most disturbing...

I don't need to go into details of all the known atrocities, massacres, etc. I think the history speaks for itself.

Personally, if you're going to have a picture, as opposed to a... kitten ;-) I really like Ade's avatar, showing a smiling British soldier in uniform, this is the kind of chap who saved the rest of the world from the horrors of the Nazi regime.

And just because I'm in the US doesn't mean that I need a pic of a GI as an avatar, which I obviously don't even have one, but SS?

I'm not really asking for any explanations, this is a choice some people have obviously made (quite a few in fact), just as I have make the choice to find it distasteful, maybe even treasonous to the memories of those who fought to free us from the shackles of possibly the most evil regime to ever exist on this planet.

I'm sure posting this here isn't going to win me a lot of admiration... and I've been trying to not say anything about it, but I guess my fingers have got the best of me for typing this out ;-)

I'm here because I love collecting WWII militaria (in fact, I've been obsessed with WWII my whole life), but I look at these artifacts in the spirit the victor, forever grateful that this evil was vanquished.

Default Re: Just wondering...

You won't get any flak from me because even though i collect mostly TR items i chose an avatar to take the p-ss out of Hitler, but hey each to their own!...

?

Avatars are monitored. Anything deemed unacceptable will be removed. I would also encourage members to give due consideration before making their selection.

I hate kitten avatars

Ade's avatar, is not a British soldier. It is a picture of him self in an Russian uniform.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    I hate kitten avatars
    Yeah they're terrible!...

?

I change mine all the time. I decided on an SS one as I am reading an interesting book on this soldier branch. I was thinking of changing it soon.

Cheers, Pat

Mine is of a recent helmet addition, which happens to be an M35 police helmet from DougB
    My profile photo is a group photo of my grandfathers wartime softball team.
    I try to mix it up and change every so often, and it's usually something that relates directly to me or my collecting interests. I have no SS items, hence no SS avatar.

PS remember we celebrate history and education here, the study of the same. We don't celebrate or glorify the atrocities that took place.

Ok, so it's Russian ;-)

Gunny, I like your avatar, dead ringer for Charlie Chaplin in "The great Dictator" ;-)

And yes, kitten avatars really are terrifying! Especially the Hello Kitty kind!

Helmetone, yr helmet is a beaut, I don't find that the least bit disturbing ;-) I have just gotten interested in police items myself, but I also have not a single SS item. Not because I don't want one, although it is definitely bordering into the creepy... but it is the cost. I'd like to have an SS buckle at least, but can't see paying what they're going for. To me, it's like paying homage or something that just seems wrong.

Why do "we" pay $6500 for an SS hat? To me it's a sort of weird reverence...

Back to the subject of avatars, even an SS helmet I find nothing wrong with, it is an inanimate object.

It is when you have a person in SS garb that I start to wonder what's going on a bit?

Don't know if Ben will join in on this, but ever since he changed his avatar from a guy in a tux, I've been wondering if that is him in an SS shirt, or just a pic of someone who looks like him?

Now I need an avatar, it's just cowardly critiquing others while not having one of my own...

I'm no expert on SS or their history, by any stretch, but I would venture to say one shouldn't blanket all SS members as heinous villains. Maybe I'm wrong. I dont know. But some have photos of SS members as recipients of high awards that pertain to their collecting interests, and others may have photos of SS members that may happen to have been ancestors. Who knows, I surely don't as I don't know the personal family history of every member here, but I highly doubt any member here is greeting others with the nazi salute.

Now go get an avatar and make it a good one

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast