Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kee Bird B-29, Frozen in time

Article about: I watched it some time ago. How horrible would it be to spend all that time, effort and cash, just to see it burn up in front of you.

Default Kee Bird B-29, Frozen in time

Being very fascinated with B-17s, B-24s and B-29s I have watched this several times as it is an interesting thing to watch.

To make a long story short, The Kee Bird was a United States Army Air Forces B-29-95-BW Superfortress, 45-21768, of the 46th Reconnaissance Squadron, that became marooned after making an emergency landing in northwest Greenland during a secret Cold War spying mission on 21 February 1947. Although the entire crew was safely evacuated, after spending three days in the isolated Arctic tundra, the aircraft itself was left at the landing site. It lay there undisturbed until 1994, when a privately funded mission was launched to repair and return it. The attempted recovery resulted in the destruction and loss of the airframe by fire on the ground.

Here it is:
    NOVA: B-29 Frozen in Time - YouTube

Enjoy!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Default Re: Kee Bird B-29, Frozen in time

Thanks for the link Christina , i saw this doc on tv a while back , what an absolute heartache !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

It is so sad to see how it ends, I really hoped they were able to pull it off. After such an effort put into it, sad.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

I agree christina a lousy ending.

What a bloody shame gutted for them
    Ben

The real tragedy of the whole 'Kee Bird' saga was the death of Darryl Greenamyer's chief engineer Rick Kriege, who died from internal bleeding caused by overwork on attempting to get the airframe airworthy during the first attempt at getting it out....

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The real tragedy of the whole 'Kee Bird' saga was the death of Darryl Greenamyer's chief engineer Rick Kriege, who died from internal bleeding caused by overwork on attempting to get the airframe airworthy during the first attempt at getting it out....

Ned.
    Agree - Saw it years ago, an absolute tragedy.
    Regards,
    John

Wasn't it an auxiliary engine/generator that broke loose in the tail that caught fire?...

?

Way to ruin the ending Gunny!!!!!!!!!LMAO
    Yes I watched it awhile back at work and everybody who was watching me watch it were saying the same thing about the sad ending. It was heartbreaking after all that work to see that beautiful beast end that way!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Agreed with big ned, one needs to remember the human loss above the material. The end actually came as quite a shock, totally unexpected. Couldn't believe it all ended that way. A heartbreaking story.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast