Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Keeping me happy (or how to write a successful thread)

Article about: I will definitely keep these in mind, thanks for the advice!

Default Keeping me happy (or how to write a successful thread)

Hi Guys, as you are reading this I guess I have your attention!

I would like to offer some (hopefully) constructive advice on how to write a successful and interesting thread while getting the answers and advice you are seeking.

First: There is nothing worse than a title like "Is it real". This kind of thing has been posted many times before and it is a total turn off to forum readers. You need to make the thread title sound consice, interesting and informative and maybe even a little "catchy": this will get forum readers attention.

Second: include as much information in your title and subsequent post as possible. This is VITAL. Due to Dimas' hard work, the forum is well established with Internet search engines. These will pick up upon keywords. Also our own forum search facility needs these words to enable members to search the forum when doing their own research. The forum is an evolving resource. For instance, posting a pic of an item is fine, but add a few word about it: someone can answer, again without using those vital key words, thus in the future the thread will never come up in any kind of search....

Third: don't overload the thread. Once you have got the answer on one subject matter don't be tempted to add another completely different item to the thread just because you have someone's attention. Please start a new thread. Don't post multiple items in one thread. It makes them un-manageable, hard to answer and folks just won't reply as it becomes hard work.

Four: don't be lazy. Once you have a answer that an item is original, please don't then ask "What is it worth?" Do a general Internet search and look at dealers sites to get an idea of potential value. If this fails, come back to the forum and tell people you have tried but failed to find the info and you still need help on this issue.

Five: Don't forget your manners. Make sure you thank people for their help.

Six: if the forum has saved you money (possibly a small fortune) please consider giving just a little back. The forum is a non profit making organisation and we rely on donations to pay the thousands of $/£/ a year it costs us to keep running. A small $10 donation would be much appreciated. Better still, become a Gold Club Member for $25.

One final point, if you possibly can, have a go at using the original German names for the awards and daggers and caps: we have some pinned threads with listings of the original names especially re awards: all you have to do is a "copy and paste" job. By using the original German you are opening new doors.

Thanks for reading this.

Cheers, Ade.

Default re: Keeping me happy (or how to write a successful thread)

Great information Ade! I think this will really help the quality of thread production. I've been guilty of number three. You guys do a great job of making this a quality forum, and valuable resource tool. We appreciate your hard work!

Take care,
    Jay

?

Unfortunately, like Jay, GUILTY as charged on number 3!!

Brilliant work by our Mods in keeping the forums going though.

Nice to see that people have read this thread and are acting upon it Thanks guys.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Sensible advice Ade, is there any militaria forum you're not an Administrator on........?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Adrian, I like to help out where I can

Cheers, Ade.

?

Six good, and sensible points.

Regards

Gary J.

The second point really is important IMO. It helps with search engines and brings traffic to a forum when the thread titles are clear and include specific subject manner.

Thanks Ade.
    Very good information that I will take to heart.
    Im still learning every day.

Best regards
    Anders

Ade, thanks for the good advice

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast