Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Keeping A Promise!!!!

Article about: Hello To All 69 years ago today the 384th Bomb Group took off from Grafton Underwood UK Station 106 on a mission to the Ball Bearing Factories at Schweinfurt Germany. On this mission between

?

Default Keeping A Promise!!!!

Hello To All
    69 years ago today the 384th Bomb Group took off from Grafton Underwood UK Station 106 on a mission to the Ball Bearing Factories at Schweinfurt Germany. On this mission between the time of 13:54 and 13:57, 6 out of 7 B17's from the 384th Bomb Group, 545th Bomb Squadron were shot down. My Uncle was a Tailgunner on one of those planes and became a POW at Stalag 17B for the rest of the War.This is Ben's story!! An Aviation Masterpiece & The Story Behind It
    I was very fortunate to become friends with Dewayne "Ben" Bennett. The pilot of the only B17 from the 545th to make it back to base that day. Ben had helped me with all the information about the day my Uncle was shot down. He also pointed me in the direction of the 384th website. Where I have become a member and, now enter combat crews from the original loading list to the database. While speaking with Ben about this day he told me that he wanted the memory of the men who lost their lives that day to be remembered. I told him I would do that for him. He passed away in March of 2011. I am Keeping my promise to him. I miss ya Ben!!!!! This is the list of the men that died that day!
    Schweinfurt dead 4-13-09.jpg

Semper Fi
    Phil

Default Re: Keeping A Promise!!!!

They were very brave guys on those daylight bombing raids for sure!...RIP Ben!..

?

Thanks for sharing Phil an honorable thing you have done in the memory of your friend Ben at least this information will be able to be shared with others .
    As to the day light bombing raids all though deemed a necessity the odds of coming back were a lot slimmer than night time bombing raids.

Regards Mark K

Nicely done, Phil
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

RIP Ben and the all the others of the " Mighty Eighth "

We will remember them !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thank you Gent's
    I will continue to ensure these brave young men who gave their lives for the cause will always be remembered and never forgotten!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice post Phil, thanks for sharing I am sure he is proud of you for passing their story on!