Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

KKK collecting

Article about: With both TR an KKK items it is purely down to the motivation of those who collect them. Personally I don't have an issue with people collecting KKK items as long as they are for historical

TR items we collect are artefacts from an evil but dead (hopefully) regime, to me a very interesting and dark era in history which should never be forgotten. Collecting stuff from the KKK in my eyes is somehow supporting them as they still exist and are even now spouting their own redneck racial hatred!...

In the late 90s I worked for Elden Leasure (Leasures Treasures), an old well-established dealer in Colorado...we dealt in firearms, militaria, sports memorabilia, antiques/collectibles etc, including items Americans would rather forget about, such as the soap Ned posted, the "Jolly Nigger Bank", Slave deeds, KKK membership cards from the 1920s etc...These items are historical whether we like it or not, in my opinion...and although I don't collect them I don't judge those who choose to do so...as I don't appreciate folks judging me for my German militaria collecting...

cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 12-06-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Yes I agree completely, but saying that I find an item to be sinister and unpleasant is not the same thing as criticizing someone else for wanting to own it. It would be hypocritical of me to say that the collecting of KKK items should not be allowed, (or that KKK collectors must all be racists) but it is not hypocritical to merely suggest I don't happen to like these items. The distinction is an important one.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Though most people in the world would say exactly the same thing about Nazi items.

A difficulty subject and perhaps the hypocrisy of collecting Nazi items as opposed to KKK items is something that needs to be given a lot of thought. I am not having a go at you Douglas, it is just your answer presents both sides of it and the inherent hypocrisy of it, Nazi is fine, KKK is not, a thin line being drawn here I think.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Yes I agree completely, but saying that I find an item to be sinister and unpleasant is not the same thing as criticizing someone else for wanting to own it. It would be hypocritical of me to say that the collecting of KKK items should not be allowed, but it is not hypocritical to merely suggest I don't happen to like these items. The distinction is an important one.
    Again Douglas, there was no intention on my part to criticise you or your collecting interests and why you chose as to what you collect, it was just your post covered a lot of valid points and was a good one to use as an example of the difficulties of this issue.

As an aside, my wife mentioned recently that a friend from the states was researching an ancestor some time back and the local authorities or whatever it was mentioned that someone else had also contacted them not long before. When her friend asked why, she was told it was to ask if it was possible to have the KKK inscription removed from the headstone.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Well, I think we are in agreement.

That is an interesting story, I know that racisim in America hasnt gone away (and indeed nor has The KKK), but these relics do make you reflect on how much things have changed.

I do have this book from the KKK, published in 1929...It's filled with anti-Catholic propaganda.
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Well, I think we are in agreement.

That is an interesting story, I know that racisim in America hasnt gone away (and indeed nor has The KKK), but these relics do make you reflect on how much things have changed.
    I am pretty sure that the headstone mentioned dated from before WWI and would have been from the deep south.

I am not sure how active the KKK is these days in the states, not something I hear mentioned. Both my wife's parents were civil rights activists in the 50's & 60's, even though her mother was from the deep south and her maternal ancestors had fought for the south during the civil war. Mind you they had also fought against the British during the revolution.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I am pretty sure that the headstone mentioned dated from before WWI and would have been from the deep south.

I am not sure how active the KKK is these days in the states, not something I hear mentioned. Both my wife's parents were civil rights activists in the 50's & 60's, even though her mother was from the deep south and her maternal ancestors had fought for the south during the civil war. Mind you they had also fought against the British during the revolution.
    I'm sure your wife must be very proud of her parents involvement in the Civil Rights movement.

Wikipedia says the KKK currently has just 5 to 8000 members and falling. Apparently its a very divided organisation (or group of organisations) and ridden with in fighting.

?

It is a toss up.
    I don't like the bastards that belong to the KKK and find the vast majority to be ignorant and repulsive. Their vehement racist dogma locks my jaw. Their hijacking of the use of the Confederate battle flag in the 50s to further segregation drives me bonkers. BUT as much as I can't stand them it is necessary to preserve their history. I am not going to do it but I understand the reasons for it.

I agree there is a difference between collecting combat medals and other political items.
    However I recognise combat medals etc are awarded by governments that represent a particular political ideology and often use armed forces to impose or defend those political ideologies so in my mind they are political awards also but they are different objects than say a Nazi Party membership badge for example.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast