Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

KKK collecting

Article about: With both TR an KKK items it is purely down to the motivation of those who collect them. Personally I don't have an issue with people collecting KKK items as long as they are for historical

?

Default KKK collecting

Militaria dealer Brent Smith offers KKK items on his site.

Does anyone else find this disgusting?

What are your thoughts on Militaria dealers selling KKK items?

I remember when KKK items were being sold on the WAF and I was one of those who spoke against it, on the grounds that it then makes TR collectors look like racists.

If dealers want to sell such items, that is their right, but I would never be a customer for them.

It could be argued and many will, that such items are no worse than Nazi items and as I no longer collect such items I have to admit to seeing some logic in that, so a confusing issue and hard to give a definitive answer on this without giving it some more thought.

Many collectors of Nazi items say they are protecting the items for history and are merely temporary guardians of them, though I suspect that many collectors buy them because they have a dark attraction, whilst others will say they are continuing a long tradition of the victors taking souvenirs of the defeated, though that really only applies to those who actually served.

A difficult subject to fully explain my mixed feelings on the matter and whilst I still have a collection of German items, I have been slowly selling them off and will probably sell the remainder at some stage in the future, though that will partly be because the money raised will be used to fund my British & Commonwealth collection.

A somewhat rambling and incoherent answer is the best I can provide at this time, perhaps later after some more thought I can try and make it a bit more consistent.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I dont see a reason for anyone to collect that (unless you are one of them ).
    But german medals have something intriguing and attractive to them, dont compare them to KKK.

Great topic, Doug. I too find it quite disturbing so many TR dealers sell these items, but also try not to judge as many feel collecting Thrid Reich memorabilia is just as bad. That said, there is a distinction between the KKK and Third Reich; mainly government and national war, no matter if many can't seem to see it.
    The KKK is a organization formed by Southern men after the civil war which was more like a fraternity, not a regime, that slowly transformed into a hate-group. The only connection the KKK and Third Reich regime truly share is the practice of anti-semitic policies and ideology.

* It is important to know the KKK is very different from skin heads, who do practice Some of the Third Reich's polices and consider Hitler to be their Führer per se.

Anyways, I will never collect skinhead nor KKK memorabilia, it's just not for me, but to each their own...I guess.

?

Dont like it at all.

But in it own way these KKK items are pieces of "Americana". So i can in a weird way understand an american interest if the items are old and genuine. But i like every antique out there, i can walk around inside an antiquestore for hours just to smell the old cloth and old dust. Its a Priceless odor.

The only thing i dont like, must be when these KKK and 3th reich items are for sale on the same page- that is the only thing i can place an finger on.

Most people dont understand how someone can fill up their house with SS and other 3th reich militaria that maybe has been used by the original owner to kill innocents in a war long gone. We as collectors see no problems with it, but we know we collect for historical reasons- most people just see a swastika and draw a quick conclusion of what kind of individual we are.

Maybe these collectors of KKK objects are just collectors- i dont know, i have never had any interest in buying any white hoods.

Just throwing out some quick thoughts here on your question Doug.

I find these KKK items very distasteful, but I don't think any collectors of TR memorabilia have any right to criticize without knowing the motives of these KKK collectors. We could very easily be real hypocrites here if we are not careful.

But just as a personal response, I find these items very sinister and unpleasant and I would want nothing to do with them, though I accept they represent important and interesting history.

Did the Nazis and KKK both not extol rabidly racist and antisemitic ideologies which would make comparing the collecting of the two no different ... IMO?

I am sure one can find many photos of KKK lynchings that are echoed by the photos of "partisans" from the "subhuman races" being similarly hung by wire or rope from trees and telegraph poles taken by Germans in WWII, I have some of the latter but not the former however I see no difference between collecting either.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I don't care for the Ku Klux Klan or anyone who helps condone their racist doctrine by hawking the vile accoutrements of their twisted dogma. However, I would like to know where I can purchase the brilliant washing powder they use....

Gold_Dust_Washing_Soap_box.jpg
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

There is a difference. Its one thing if you collect combat medals and other if you collect political items IMO.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I find these KKK items very distasteful, but I don't think any collectors of TR memorabilia have any right to criticize without knowing the motives of these KKK collectors. We could very easily be real hypocrites here if we are not careful.

But just as a personal response, I find these items very sinister and unpleasant and I would want nothing to do with them, though I accept they represent important and interesting history.
    Though most people in the world would say exactly the same thing about Nazi items.

A difficulty subject and perhaps the hypocrisy of collecting Nazi items as opposed to KKK items is something that needs to be given a lot of thought. I am not having a go at you Douglas, it is just your answer presents both sides of it and the inherent hypocrisy of it, Nazi is fine, KKK is not, a thin line being drawn here I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast