MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this knife just junk?

Article about: Hey everyone, A friend of mine found this knife and wanted to know about it, i told him im pretty sure its just junk be he asked me to find out, it says made in germany on the sheath. Like i

Default Is this knife just junk?

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine found this knife and wanted to know about it, i told him im pretty sure its just junk be he asked me to find out, it says made in germany on the sheath.
    Like i said im pretty sure is rubbish but i told him id ask so this is it lol......
    Thanks everyone.

IMG_1276.JPGIMG_1275.jpg

Hello if it says made in Germany it's definitely post war. Looks to have been a camping knife someone took to a grinder to make a fillet knife out of it. Value monetarily is minimal but worthless? One man's junk etc.. kindest regards.

Brian

?

My Grandpa had a HJ that looked like that, he used it every winter as a skinner (he ran a 200 trap trapline) and by the 1990's it looked pretty much exactly like this.

It's much closer to an RH pal knockoff than any German knife I know of. But I definitely could see it being used as a skinner.

Brian

wm_11256538.jpg

MAP
    ?

I few thoughts...

1) Might be pre war. Post war it would have said West Germany. Unless it is post re-unification but given condition I think it looks older than that.
    2) I would think that this was ground down to be a skinner or filet knife for fish.
    3) Commercial and not military
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Cool, thanks everyone. I knew it was nothing special, was just curious. (And my mate was breaking my balls) lol
    Thanks again

Default I know, I know, but i just want to double check

Hi everyone,
    I know im probably flogging a dead horse here but my mate has sent me some maker marks from this same knife.
    Do these marks mean much? If someone could let me know thatd be great thanks.IMG_1423.jpgIMG_1424.jpg

Quote by bsiwula1 View Post
    Hello if it says made in Germany it's definitely post war.
    Sorry, Brian, but no. The "Made in Germany" mark has existed since the late 19th Century. It was first introduced for goods exported to Britain as a result of the Merchandise Marks Act of 1887. Thus, goods marked "Made in Germany" can be from the 19th, 20th or 21st Century.

I cannot comment on the actual piece discussed here, other than the obvious observation that it is a commercially-produced civilian knife.

The maker Carl Schlieper was founded in the 18th century and went bankrupt in 1993, although the brand name was resumed by the Friedrich Olbertz company.

Carl Schlieper - Wikipedia

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Sorry, Brian, but no. The "Made in Germany" mark has existed since the late 19th Century. It was first introduced for goods exported to Britain as a result of the Merchandise Marks Act of 1887. Thus, goods marked "Made in Germany" can be from the 19th, 20th or 21st Century.

I cannot comment on the actual piece discussed here, other than the obvious observation that it is a commercially-produced civilian knife.

The maker Carl Schlieper was founded in the 18th century and went bankrupt in 1993, although the brand name was resumed by the Friedrich Olbertz company.

Carl Schlieper - Wikipedia
    I agree Andreas, the trademark made in Germany goes back to the 19th century.
    I do own an early hj knife with provenance which says Germany on the blade. It has the small badge from Deutsche arbeiter jugend on the scabbard.
    Will do a picture later.

This one i do have provenance on.. came from an estate belonged to a guy who was in the HJ..
    The blade says Rich. Abr. Herder Solingen Germany
    Also on the leather scabbard the maker is in the leather.
    I do believe this to a be pre war knife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast