Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

little saying and facts!!

Article about: hello, thought i would start a little thread on facts! might be interesting. here is my little fact about Field Marshal Erwin Rommel *Rommel was fascinated by mines as a defensive weapon. on

Default Re: little saying and facts!!

Not ww2, but an interesting fact non the less. It may sound unbelievable, but if you check out the facts on the English Electric Lightning and specifically it's radar system, you'll see it. Apparently, the Mig-21's radar could do the same.

But the Mig couldn't fly to 50,000 in just less than 1 minute!

From Thunder & Lightnings

They developed a powerful air conditioning system to keep the pilots cool. Semi-conductors would not work above 65C, so they stuck to using vacuum-tube avionics, even for the radar. It was a monster item of equipment, weighing in at slightly over half a ton. Its pulse-Doppler search and track were basic, but the valve technology and its awesome power gave it unmatched power to burn through the thickest electronic jamming to a range of fifty miles, it would KILL A RABBIT at one kilometre if activated on the ground.

Now that's an awsome fact!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Now your talking Ned, the EE lightning is one of my favourite all time aircraft, basically a rocket with a cockpit, i used to see them at air shows at Farnborough, especially low level before they brought in the new restricted minimum display heights, you could feel the power tremble through the ground and your entire body and to watch one go vertical was a real treat, fastest aircraft of its time and also for many years after, im not sure but i think it still holds one of the air speed records over a measured distance

Best regards, Patrick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12