Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Little story from my grandfather

Article about: When I was down in New Mexico visiting my grandparents, I was talking to my grandfather who was 12 when the war started. Said that when the German left Greece when they surrendered they thre

Default Little story from my grandfather

When I was down in New Mexico visiting my grandparents, I was talking to my grandfather who was 12 when the war started. Said that when the German left Greece when they surrendered they threw they're weapons and other explosive ordinance in the ditches alongside the roads in the area he was living in at the time, and after the Government came back in the country they took all weapons and either melted them down or sold them or used them for their army (i forget what they did with them) the Germans also parked their tanks and half tracks and other vehicles like that next to the ditches and left..My grandfather was also shot at for stealing bread one day by a German soldier. Thank god he missed every shot! I just thought I'd share this with you guys :-) George

Default Re: Little story from my grandfather

Hi George, great history from your grandfather. Make sure and get all the history you can from him and write it down. That's the only way family history survives through the years. Too bad he didn't pick up a couple MP 40's, helmets etc. I'm glad for your sake they missed too! Many German soldiers kept all of their weapons until they could find an American or British unit to surrender to. The Germans would keep their weapons due to partisans or other threats until they felt safe enough to surrender. Unfortunately, in most areas, German soldiers would be unable to win any popularity contests.

Take care,
    Jay

I kinda wish he took a few MG42s...but he'd probably get those taken away at some point. I alos remember him telling me what he did after shooting target in the army when he lived in the U.S he'd take his m1 and go to the shower and point it at the nozzle and do that to clean out the barrel (lol) He got caught one day doing that and had to 14 and 2

An MG42 would have been quite nice! Might have been tough for a 12 year old to hang onto though. Giving an M1 a shower is the fastest way to clean it, but probably not the best. I bet they were none too happy when they caught him. Is that the same M1 you'll be inheriting some day? Wasn't it a Winchester?

Take care,
    Jay

Jay

I wish it was.. the M1 he gave me was my uncles before he died he bought it sometime in the 90s or around 2000 I'll make a new thread for the m1 though

We would love to see it George! Put up some pics when you get a chance. It's still pretty cool to get a rifle that has has been in the family. Did you have a chance to fill out a data sheet yet?

Jay

Yep I have I gave it to my grandfather to keep until we can bring the gun up to are house in washington, Also I've been reading that Winchester M1 Garands are worth a little more then Springfield made ones is that true? The thread is up now also : )

That is true, and it has to do with quantity. Springfield delivered about 3.5 million Garands during the war compared to Winchester delivering about 513,000. Therefore, not as many high quality Winchester Garands are still around. I'm glad you're doing your research! You're starting young, and that's great. Keep it up George. I'm gonna take a peek at your Garand now.

Jay

Jay

Thanks Jay,Ever since my dad brought home one of my uncles helmets I've been collecting since then so about 3 years now..before that was hotwheels and other car related stuff..