Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Macro Photography

Article about: Seeking recommendations for best camera equipment for photographing small items,eg hinges and catches of badges. Thanks for looking. Steve

?

Default Macro Photography

Seeking recommendations for best camera equipment for photographing small items,eg hinges and catches of badges.
    Thanks for looking.
    Steve

MAP
    ?

Quote by Snoman View Post
    Seeking recommendations for best camera equipment for photographing small items,eg hinges and catches of badges.
    Thanks for looking.
    Steve
    There are some professional and extremely talented semi-professional photographers here, hopefully they will chime in. I am not in that camp but I am actively trying to improve. So if some of the other more experienced guys come around, take their advice over mine.

Here are two thread of some of my test macro photos (with some links to other threads and advice from others). I've gotten better since then with even clearer and closer shots.....

Test Photo Feedback?

Advice - Text Photos

A good light box and photo editing software is a must. You can find nice light boxes fairly cheap on the internet and there is decent basic photo editing freeware out there if you don't want to by Photoshop. A tripod is a must too and maybe even a shutter cable as getting that close, even pushing the shutter button can ruin a photo, even on a tripod sometimes..

My camera is a Sony @6300 with a 50mm F2.8mm macro lens ( I recently upgraded it from a 30mm F3.5 macro lens, still not sure which I like better). Great camera but not cheap. Plus every camera / lens is different so you will need to play with the depth of field to get nice clear and crisp photos. That said, I've seen excellent macro photos from point and shoot cameras like the Panasonic Lumix line.

I personally would recommend going to a local professional camera store and talk to the staff. Let them know what you are trying to achieve (not the big box stores). I did that and got to test lots of cameras until I found one that gave me the results I was looking for.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)