Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The making of....a die struck insigna,buckle or ornament.

Article about: hello to you all. I will try to give you an idea of how an insigna, belt buckel or any other ornament have been made until now. To Ade & Dimas feel free to correct what ever you thinks n

Default The making of....a die struck insigna,buckle or ornament.

hello to you all.
    I will try to give you an idea of how an insigna, belt buckel or any other ornament have been made until now.
    To Ade & Dimas feel free to correct what ever you thinks needs to be done; spelling faults included!
    It may take a few weeks before this thread will be complete with my input; as there is a lot to tell and lots to show.
    You will not find any TR die in this thread, coming from my collection, because the one's who came with the lot where sold qiuet rapidly.

Here is a first example of a complete die set to make one insigna.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: The making of....a die struck insigna,buckle or ornament.

Thise is the only complete set I have kept, just because it is the insigna I did wear on my cap serving the country.
    Thise is the first one being used to make the insigna, it cuts out the form.
    Not all dies are as complete as thise one is.
    All thise tools where and are still very expensive to be made!
    Thise one carries the number 61051 and comes in 3 parts.

These other two parts finaly makes the insigna.
    These parts are to be fixed in a machine capable of deploying a force up to 60 tons.
    I will try to show you such a machine when I found the pictures.
    The force needed to struck the insigna depends on the material (and thikness)used to make them.
    The two parts have to be exact one in front the other.
    Thise handling called "calibreren" in Flemish (i do not know the exact translation!!) and could take a day or even more.
    To prevent the die of deteriorating or even explose under the force of the machine; they are made in layers of different sorts of steel (hard and weaker steel)in order to function as a shock absorber.
    Only the top layer is hardened after being cut out.

Due of the force of the strike when made, they heat up and turn black, like if they were in a fire.
    Then the pins are welded or soldered onto them. And then they have to be put in two different acids that chemicaly removes the blackness and turn them back into a nice copper , bronze or even white metal insignia.

When the order was not that important that the making of a cut-out -die was not worth it.
    They where cut out by hand.
    The last picture shows a medal wher a hole is drilled in the middel, so very fine lime /saw could be placed in it to remove the center piece.
    The outside was done with the same kind of lime/saw, but cut in from the edge.

That's really interesting,thanks!!

?

Its very interesting to see the Tooling for making the badges, have you any idea when the die was made?

Quote by axenige View Post
    Its very interesting to see the Tooling for making the badges, have you any idea when the die was made?
    Most of the time, yes.
    But I have to look at the number to get the exact date.
    Some times they are marked; date and manufactor.
    One name who is coming back in the 19 th century is Picard of London; but I can not find anything on the net about thise chap.
    I have got some more intresting material to add to thise threat, but I can't find it at thise momment.

Just happened to find the small booklet that came with the lot.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Absolutely amazing. Thank you very much for sharing with us. I guess the million dollar question is, how many of the TR dies are still out there.

Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast