Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Man Cave..."Haven or Shrine"?

Article about: I agree it's something we need, even if we weren't collectors. Where I live, lots of guys have turned their garages into Man Caves by adding carpet, furniture, TV, stereo - and most importan

Default Man Cave..."Haven or Shrine"?

A Guy needs a room of his own and Mark Twain once said "There ought to be a room in every house to swear in" Its dangerous to have to repress an emotion like that,,He added.
    The Great American humorist may have not invented the "Man Cave", but even "He" realized more than 130 years ago , that men needed a place to go where they can do manly things.
    Twain spoke the Prophetic words after he constructed a billiards room on the top floor of the Hartford Connecticut home, where he lived in 1871-91.
    The room was off limits to his wife and children, and reserved for the writer and his male shoot pool, smoke cigars and enjoy their favorite libations. Twain also used the room as a retreat.....a place to write and hide from the domestic chaos on the other floors of the house. For myself ,, it is a Haven!!
    In the years since..and especially over the last decade..Man caves have exploded into a cultural phenomenon. Millions of men today have transformed ,basements garages and sheds into their own personal testaments to testosterone.
    So the question....which is it for the men here? We all know what is in these rooms from our Hobbies to sports regalia. Out of the whole house why is it so satisfying to be in a smaller room...or is it a hidden cove in a mans mind that makes it that way? As I said stated above,, for me its a haven others it may be a shrine. Lets hear some opinions. Regards Larry

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default Re: Man Cave..."Haven or Shrine"?

I worked the other way by spreading my war,sports stuff and autographs all over the whole house,that way there is no space for my wife to put up pictures of the "outlaws" HA HA

I agree 101% on what you have written here LarryC.

We need to keep the playful child inside of us alive, keep the interest for the small things in our life activated. To be able to have a room/cave full of trinkets and treasures is what makes us feel so very much alive- and it is very important for the mental health.
    Collect ROA, Cossack, Schuma and other WW2 Volunteer militaria.

"Be Humble and kind, for you may find that it was Odin you entertained"

My garage is my haven. My military heaven. My little piece of my own space. My escape. My passion. My fully stocked bar!

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I wish I had a "cave" too. At the moment Im using the same strategy as Fallschirmjäger, just spreading helmets everywhere in the flat - from the kitchen to the bedroom, since last week there has been a SA mkII under my dinner table, hehe. Im affraid the "boss" is soon getting mental

I am coming to your place Nick !!!

I have finely got my man cave done. Still putting things out. I posted some of mine in a thread. Some of my stuff. My wife is now talking about a room for her stuff. Maybe the basement? I did make my man cave secure. no windows for people to crawl through. a plain solid door with secure locks. I will post more pictures as I get time to put more of my treasures out. I have to have a place to escape too.

I share my cave with my wife - her desk is there :-)
    Looking for following WWII German items:
    - anything dealing with Allenstein (Olsztyn) and Wehrkreis I in East Prussia,
    - entrenching tool carrier (straight and folding),
    - forestry and hunting items,
    Join my Facebook group -

I have a Canadian man cave a German one. Depends on the mood LOL

I have a corner of our master bedroom. In that corner stands my curio cabinet stocked with pretty much all of my helmets, medals and other miscellaneous items. Our basement is too damp for anything of value. Our house is too small for me to have an entire room. Just the other day my wife mentioned buying me a utility shed to house my train set and possibly expand my collection if I deem it secure enough. That will be the closest I come to a "cave." To help her keep her word, I went out and took a chain saw to the tree that was growing in the spot I want to put the shed. I am now scouting out sheds for end of year sales. It's important for us not to forget who we are and what we enjoy. Life has gotten itself in such a big damn hurry that people have forgotten to just enjoy being here, do what you enjoy and not to live and die by a schedule or calendar. In the end, no one gets out alive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast