Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members beware rommel-lebt.com

Article about: This is just a post to warn others of a very strange dealer, I TAKE PAY PAL harrys-ww2-attic.com . I don't know how many of his items are fake, but he called me in response to a local ad I h

Since we are discussing and using terms that have ethnic and political connotations, let me add this. The Pale, as in "being beyond the Pale," goes back several hundred years and first referred to a pointed stake driven into the ground to form a fence. In general, the term "beyond the Pale" describes someone who has gone outside the established limits of social or political, or legal propriety. Pales, in terms of political/ethnic enclosures were enforced in various European countries for political and social reasons, notably in 14th Century France (the Pale of Calais) and 15th Century Ireland (the Pale of Dublin). Catherine the Great created the Pale of Settlement in Russia in 1791in which Jews were allowed to live, which is why many, if not most, think as the "Pale" as a Jewish Ghetto. That is not what the Pale really was, but Catherine's specified allotment did coin the phrase to live "beyond the pale" since some Jews were allowed to live outside the concession. As a result, over the years the Pale has come to imply, if not actually mean, an enclosure for Jews.
    The point of all this is to illustrate that the seller, whom we all recognize as a complete Wacko, in using terms, such as "Oy vey" does not necessarily imply or mean that he has any feelings about Jews one way or the other. Think for a moment of the foreign words and terms we all use regularly. For example, "he has gone beyond the Pale." Dwight

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Since we are discussing and using terms that have ethnic and political connotations, let me add this. The Pale, as in "being beyond the Pale," goes back several hundred years and first referred to a pointed stake driven into the ground to form a fence. In general, the term "beyond the Pale" describes someone who has gone outside the established limits of social or political, or legal propriety. Pales, in terms of political/ethnic enclosures were enforced in various European countries for political and social reasons, notably in 14th Century France (the Pale of Calais) and 15th Century Ireland (the Pale of Dublin). Catherine the Great created the Pale of Settlement in Russia in 1791in which Jews were allowed to live, which is why many, if not most, think as the "Pale" as a Jewish Ghetto. That is not what the Pale really was, but Catherine's specified allotment did coin the phrase to live "beyond the pale" since some Jews were allowed to live outside the concession. As a result, over the years the Pale has come to imply, if not actually mean, an enclosure for Jews.
    The point of all this is to illustrate that the seller, whom we all recognize as a complete Wacko, in using terms, such as "Oy vey" does not necessarily imply or mean that he has any feelings about Jews one way or the other. Think for a moment of the foreign words and terms we all use regularly. For example, "he has gone beyond the Pale." Dwight
    Well, I wouldn't normally make the anti-Jewish connection were it not for the context of the person's use of the Yiddish terms. It seems fairly evident that he was using it in reference to RailwayEagle's supposed 'cheapness,' and the other comments would seem to support that.

This guy is off in the head.

He is selling calling cards that are "original" for $200 a pop...... This man has lost his mind and he lost his valuing skills.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123