Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

In Memory of the Battle of Stalingrad

Article about: Hey everyone, around this time of year I stop and hold a moment of silence for the men, women, and children, both Russian and German, who lost their lives in Stalingrad in the bloodiest batt

Default In Memory of the Battle of Stalingrad

Hey everyone, around this time of year I stop and hold a moment of silence for the men, women, and children, both Russian and German, who lost their lives in Stalingrad in the bloodiest battle ever recorded. I personally believe that this battle did not just change the course of WWII, it changed the world. I ask that you also stop to remember the hundreds of thousands that died there, because they all died premature deaths in the name of freedom.

RIP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: In Memory of the Battle of Stalingrad

amen brother a moments silence is not much to ask for the brave people who gave up everything in the name of their country

?

Pray thanks to the Liberators .. we owe them everything.

I tottaly agree .most of these poor people where already living in poverty before the invasion ,and had to take on a war of survival ,even though survival meant more poverty.i salute their bravery as fellow human beings, and thank them for defeating the evil which was hitler,lv

?

Excellent sentiments for what was probably the greatest Battle of the War .At this time the fighting was going on in the Don Bogen west of the River , Stalingrad itself was not reached for another 13 days.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

i think the orignal concept of this post was to honor the brave people who all shared a tragic fate at this battle regardless of the nationality they held at least thats how i interpreted it ,not every german was a nazi not every russian was a communist lets just accept they all shared similar fates at the same battleground

RIP all civilian and military casualties of that terrible battle no matter what their ideology or motivation was.

On a side note; I would like to recommend a book for those of you who have not heard of it. It is "A Writer at War" Vasily Grossman with the Red Army, 1941-1945 Written/edited by Antony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova.
    ISBN 0-375-42407-5

There are also a few wartime photographs in the book.

It is a fantastic account of Eastern Front actions and daily life seen from a Soviet reporter's eyes and the eyes of the soldiers he lived with in the field as he was assigned by the official government news media of the time. It covers the battle of Stalingrad as well as Kursk and the fall of Berlin very well. One soldier's account in this book which haunts me is the description of his destroying German tanks with an anti-tank rifle and how he would know when he got a kill as he could hear the rattling and popping inside the tank as the German crewmen would scream in pain and terror as they died. It brings home much of the horror and brutality of modern warfare in the 20th century.