Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mensur scar tradition.

Article about: 'Slightly' OT thread hence in this forum. This is not an expression of fascination with the Mensur tradition - Im more intrigued with a mentality that made men actively pursue these scars an

?

Default Mensur scar tradition.

'Slightly' OT thread hence in this forum.

This is not an expression of fascination with the Mensur tradition - Im more intrigued with a mentality that made men actively pursue these scars and further more made them wear them like a badge of honour. I am aware that students still fence and I myself used to fence and miss it a great deal. That doesnt mean, I didnt wear full face protection.

Im sure we've all seen some horrible examples of Mensur scars over the years in this hobby, but dang this guy really got horribly torn up!

Looks like the blade got hold of the corner of his mouth and furnished him with half a 'Glasgow smile.'

Supposedly Mensur scars on a Hans Helmuth Helmuth von Horn.

I cant vouch for this not being battle damage of course, but quite a lot of Germans took pride in wearing these scars.

Apart from the obvious and usual suspects (Röhm et al), any other examples out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Mensur scar tradition.

Yes, that was a bad one. It almost makes Skorzeny look pretty.

8.Otto Skorzeny_detail_headline.png

Here are the boys having a guys' night out.
    markomannia students after mensur game.JPG

Here's a very long and epic thread from AHF regarding injuries to German combatants during and before WW2. Many of them are bearing Mensur scars, and there is some explanation to their meaning and how they were obtained prior to the banning of the practice in 1956. I think that ban may have since been lifted, but i'm not sure, and you don't really see guys with them these days so I may well be wrong on that.

Axis History Forum • Everlasting Scars/Wounds Of Third Reich Personalities

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by SwePeter View Post
    Yes, that was a bad one. It almost makes Skorzeny look pretty.

8.Otto Skorzeny_detail_headline.png

Here are the boys having a guys' night out.
    markomannia students after mensur game.JPG
    Skorzeny's scars are prominent as well.

That other guys tunic is almost soaked through.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Here's a very long and epic thread from AHF regarding injuries to German combatants during and before WW2. Many of them are bearing Mensur scars, and there is some explanation to their meaning and how they were obtained prior to the banning of the practice in 1956. I think that ban may have since been lifted, but i'm not sure, and you don't really see guys with them these days so I may well be wrong on that.

Axis History Forum • Everlasting Scars/Wounds Of Third Reich Personalities

Regards, Ned.
    Gruesome but interesting, Ned. Thanks.
    A small comfort, I know, but in the light of the tradition of the Mensur and how those scars were worn like a badge of pride/courage, the actual battle scars might not have been viewed with quite as much horror (or disgust) during the War as in some other countries (just a stray thought and a teneous one at that).

One famous person I can think of is ernst kaltenbrunner, the man who was rumoured to be 6"8.
    He apparently got this after a night out drinking while others say he got it from a fencing accident.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Some more scarred german soldiers...

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I have my doubts about that lid. We might need better pics.....
    Guy looks like a famous turncoat; I have seen him in many different uniforms - maybe one of those hush-hush types from the War.

Dr. Lardschneider of the Prinz Eugen divison had some pretty spectacular Mensur scars:

Axis History Forum • ID photo of a 7. SS "Prinz Eugen" - Ärzt

[By the way, a (non-fencing) law student once remarked to me: "Why are those idiots so proud of their scars? The only thing they prove is that the other guy was the better swordsman!"]

?

OUCH! Looks like someone put his head in a waffle iron!!

('Lardschneider!!' His name is actually Lardschneider, LOL! Dont even know why I find that funny......).

[By the way, a (non-fencing) law student once remarked to me: "Why are those idiots so proud of their scars? The only thing they prove is that the other guy was the better swordsman!"]

Thats a tough one to argue with

Christian Tychsen
    • File Type: jpg ct.jpg (34.1 KB, 1584 views)
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast