Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Messerschmitt bf109E.. near my house!!!!

Article about: Right under my nose!!!! Today a friend and I were talking and he told me about THESE ONLY 5 mins from my house WTF!! Obviously I drove directly there The place was closed ..but they had the

?

Default Messerschmitt bf109E.. near my house!!!!

Right under my nose!!!!

Today a friend and I were talking and he told me about THESE ONLY 5 mins from my house WTF!!
    Obviously I drove directly there
    The place was closed ..but they had the old spit outside... don't think the one outside is a working model.
    >>>>>

Spitfire Mark IX

Year: 1942
    Engine: Rolls Royce Merlin 61: 1660 Horsepower V-12 Liquid-Cooled Engine
    Max Speed: 408 mph.
    Range: 434 mi.
    Service Ceiling: 36000 ft.
    Max Weight: 5610 lbs.
    Armament: 50 Calibre Machine Guns

Perhaps no airplane achieved such fame as that of the Supermarine Spitfire. This unequaled British fighter was one of the best all-round aircraft to emerge during the second world war. By virtue of constant improvements which lasted for the whole duration of production, the Spitfire
    always kept a margin of superiority over its adversaries. With 20,351 Spitfires constructed in about 40 different models, the Spitfire served with the Royal Air Force well into the 1950's.

The Spitfire had its origins in the series of seaplanes which were created by Reginald J. Mitchell in the second half of the 1920's and culminated in the Supermarine S6B, winner of the last Schneider Trophy race on September 13th 1931. Most would agree that the ingredients of a great fighter are a good power plant and wing design, something the Spitfire has. With its legendary sounding Rolls Royce Merlin/Griffon V-12 liquid cooled power plant ranging from 1000 hp to 2400 hp by end of production. The Spitfire wing designed by R.J. Mitchells head aerodynamist Canadian born Beverley Shenstone, gave the Spitfire the unmatched handling characteristics which its pilots used to help defeat its adversaries.

In July 1942 the Mark IX series made its appearance, purpose-built to challenge the superiority of the German FockWulf Fw.190. The Russell Aviation Group's Spitfire is a Mark IX serial MK912. The aircraft MK912 was originally built in March 1944 at Castle Bromwich and was delivered to 312 Squadron on the 8th June, seeing active service with the Czech squadron. It is thought to be the first allied aircraft to land in newly liberated France after D-Day when loose radio equipment during a sortie led to an emergency landing in France.

On 30th November 1944 it was transferred to Air Service Training at Hamble. In July 1946, it was sold to the Royal Netherlands Air Force, as H-59, and subsequently H-119. In 1952 it was sold to the Belgian Air Force as SM-29. It was eventually mounted on a pole at Saffraenberg Air Force Base, from where it was acquired by a Jersey based collector. It was acquired by Historic Flying in an unrestored state in 1997. Mk912 stands out because of its authenticity.

It is powered by an original Rolls Royce Merlin 70 and the restored aircraft re-uses over 75% of the original components. During restoration every rivet has been renewed. New wing spars are fitted, the airframe was completely re-skinned and the Merlin engine was fully overhauled. Wing tanks, modern radio and navigation equipment complete the package. In all other respects MK912 is a stock military Mk. IX aircraft.

Messerschmitt bf109E

Year:1939
    Engine: DaimlerBenz DB601A 1100 Horsepower, Inverted V12 Liquid-Cooled engine
    Max Speed: 354 mph.
    Range: 412 mi.
    Service Ceiling: 36000 ft.
    Max Weight: 5400 lbs.
    Armament: 7.9 MM Machine Guns in engine cowling

Designed by Willy Messerschmitt in the early 1930's, the first truly modern fighter of its era. For the first 5 years after its appearance in 1935, the Bf109 was the best fighter in the world. Designed at a time when many designers were still thinking in terms of biplanes the Bf109 became the forerunner of all the most modern fighter planes of World War II.

The Russell Aviation Group’s bF109E is the only flying example in the world today with a Daimler Benz DB601 power plant. Originally built as a Bf109E1, but upgraded to the E-4 standard. It was flown on several occasions by legendary Jagdwaffe ace Hans-Joachim Marseille, "White 14".Today carries the markings it wore when Marseille flew it on the channel front in 1940, where the ace claimed a Spitfire over
    Thames Estuary. “White 14” had a forced landing on the beach at Calais-Marck on 2 September 1940. After being recovered and
    repaired it saw service on the Eastern front ( Russia ) where it was abandoned.

It was recovered from a Russian swamp in the 1990's,transferred to the UK and restored by Craig Charleston for David Price from the Santa Monica Museum of Flight. It was received in Chino California January 14 1999 and fitted with a DB601 engine, the aircraft only saw about 50 hours flying time before being purchased by Ed Russell of Canada where it resides today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Messerschmitt bf109E.. near my house!!!!

Where in Ontario is that ?
    Looking for following WWII German items:
    - anything dealing with Allenstein (Olsztyn) and Wehrkreis I in East Prussia,
    - entrenching tool carrier (straight and folding),
    - forestry and hunting items,

Polish Militaria 1914-1945 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/124584324789966/
    GTA Militaria - Discussions and Sales - https://www.facebook.com/groups/890720157646923/

?

Niagara Falls.

?

Two of my favorite aircraft,nice post......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Apparently 4 aircraft inside the hangar... and a huge piece of a Lancaster. PICS COMING SOON!!!

?

The Supermarine Spitfire was built in Swindon,Wiltshire, UK I think? the plant is now owned by Honda who use the runway as a test track for their new cars..Lots of things named the Spitfire in Swindon,...We even have a nice beer named Spitfire!!! yummy. Cheers Terry.

?

A heck of a lot were built in Birmingham, there is an abstract form of memorial on one of the large roundabouts there, depicting three spits facing skywards

?

Yeah you might be right Dave, Im not sure where they were built.. its just around Swindon lots of people talk about Spitfires being built!!..So I just presumed!! Cheers Terry.

Great pics ! Nice to see a real 109 and not a Spanish built Buchon which flys at UK airshows

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Great planes!

But they tend to fall down all the time, so they should never be flown and only be kept in museums ....NOOOT! ; - )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast