Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Metal Detector Help

Article about: Hi guys, My mum is buying my father a metal detector for xmas, what would you suggest is the best one on the website below? Metal Detectors : Maplin Electronics he will be using it as a begi

?

Default Metal Detector Help

Hi guys,

My mum is buying my father a metal detector for xmas, what would you suggest is the best one on the website below?

Metal Detectors : Maplin Electronics

he will be using it as a beginner like myself, I will probably use it around where the old airfield was in dorchester, what kind of depth would a good detector go to ?

many thanks

a Newbie at detectors

Jim

?

Default Re: Metal Detector Help

quite easy. the whites (the most expencive ones) are the best.

the rest is ..... uuuuhm ..... a bit less best

pioneer for instance is used quite al lot in the usa. perhaps you can find more reviews on the web.
    Last edited by Colin; 12-01-2011 at 03:40 PM.

?

after looking at a few reviews on the net i have bought a Garrett Ace 150 , its was about the right price and well reviewed

?

good choice for a newby

Hi Jim,can i direct you to the 'Search technology and metal detecting' area of the forum,you'll find it very helpful

?

I will have a browse through for tips and hints

The ace 150 is a great MD to start with but you will be asking for a better one soon, believe me.

?

Quote by klokhoane View Post
    The ace 150 is a great MD to start with but you will be asking for a better one soon, believe me.
    I will join klokhoane here. You should seriously have waited for some more response. Ace 150 is not the best MD for the money. Look for Fisher F series for an example. Fisher makes some of the best on the market, also in the lower price range. I use Fisher F5. A good MD for sure.

The ace 150 is a great detector for someone new to the hobby. It's simple to use and will give u some results but i would have bought a MD in the midle section. They are not that easy to use (plug and play) as the ace 150 but will give u a lot more satisfaction over a longer period of time. I search with a teknetics omega with an 11" DD coil (t2 coil) it's quite easy to use but has a incredible depth with the 11" coil. I've had a xp gmaxx but couldn't get a feeling for this type of MD (analog) and sold it. Don't forget to buy a MD for the purposes you want to use it for. A MD for coins isn't always the best for hunting relics and visa versa. The internet has a lot of information (reviews etc.) about all kinds of md's. Use this info if you ever want to buy another md, i did and haven't regret it at all. Hope this helps a bit and have fun with your new hobby.

?

I recommend not investing in more money and getting the 250. I made that mistake for very little extra benefit, and my friend with the 150 is finding better things than me. With the 150, just make sure you buy a bigger coil and it'll be a decent enough detector.
    Thanks,
    Robbie