Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection

Article about: by ToxicGas I meant to add that to my list! I never understood the point in 'De-Nazifying' objects that no longer serve a post-war purpose... if you're going to destroy it, why not just thro

Default Re: militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    I meant to add that to my list! I never understood the point in 'De-Nazifying' objects that no longer serve a post-war purpose... if you're going to destroy it, why not just throw it away? It's more understandable if it were something practical De-Nazified for public use perhaps.

Mat
    I thought most de nazed items, medals I am thinking of, were done so the owner could wear them until the 57 versions were authorised. In some ways they have more history than those that were not done, though to most are less desirable.. I only have two and one came as part of a job lot, though the other, an EKI I bought because it was there, but I don't collect them and will probably never buy another. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong on why they were treated this way, the medals that is?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection

I do agree with your first sentence, Jerry!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Bond View Post
    I thought most de nazed items, medals I am thinking of, were done so the owner could wear them until the 57 versions were authorised. In some ways they have more history than those that were not done, though to most are less desirable.. I only have two and one came as part of a job lot, though the other, an EKI I bought because it was there, but I don't collect them and will probably never buy another. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong on why they were treated this way, the medals that is?
    You're correct about medals, but I refer to other things like for example- a cap eagle being De-Nazified despite having no practical use or purpose after the war... meaning it was kept as an item of aesthetic value, yet defaced. It makes no sense to me. It feels almost like a misplaced 'revenge'.

An exception to my dislike for De-Nazified things is this helmet of mine- the decals remain, so it's not actually De-Nazified, but I believe it's nevertheless an example of someone (presumably the one who captured it) expressing their thoughts for the regime. I think it adds to it in this case. I'm fairly sure they were aiming for the Swastika, I'm glad they missed...

Mat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    You're correct about medals, but I refer to other things like for example- a cap eagle being De-Nazified despite having no practical use or purpose after the war... meaning it was kept as an item of aesthetic value, yet defaced. It makes no sense to me. It feel almost like a misplaced 'revenge'.

An exception to my dislike for De-Nazified things is this helmet of mine- the decals remain, so it's not actually De-Nazified, but I believe it's nevertheless an example of someone (presumably the one who captured it) expressing their thoughts for the regime. I think it adds to it in this case. I'm fairly sure they were aiming for the Swastika, I'm glad they missed...

Mat
    For sure, no sense in denazing a cap or tunic eagle and then keeping it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Well, many belt buckles and awards were denazified in POW camps because owners still wanted to keep them. And there are for example denazified German belt buckles used by Soviet or Yugo partisans. I personally find these items very interesting. There is denazified Waffen SS belt buckle in my collection once belonged to a member of 20th SS division solder denazified by him after WWII when he continued fighting against Soviets. As he was not a nazi and did not wanted to do anything with 3rd Reich he just denazified swastika on it. For me this belt buckle has much more value than a regular one. But i collect of course also normal belt buckles...

For me it would have to be anything that could have the potential to have been exhumed from a grave site eg relic Fallschrimjager helmets,moldy looking insignia (cloth or metal),Erks (complete or halves) etc.I do have a couple of Erks in my collection but have stopped purchasing them. Some things just don't look right,gut instinct turns me away.
    Also battle damaged helmets where penetration has the potential to have been fatal are off my list and anything holocaust related.
    I don't want death on my pieces if I can help it.A personal thing.
    Cheers fella's
    Last edited by Thanatos; 01-28-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelllinnn

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Well, many belt buckles and awards were denazified in POW camps because owners still wanted to keep them. And there are for example denazified German belt buckles used by Soviet or Yugo partisans. I personally find these items very interesting. There is denazified Waffen SS belt buckle in my collection once belonged to a member of 20th SS division solder denazified by him after WWII when he continued fighting against Soviets. As he was not a nazi and did not wanted to do anything with 3rd Reich he just denazified swastika on it. For me this belt buckle has much more value than a regular one. But i collect of course also normal belt buckles...
    I agree, history on those items doesn't stop on september 1945!!
    The present is our history of tomorrow.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    US WWII items, there's just no appeal. I have my grandfathers uniform items that he kept, but that's all I really care to have. German uniforms and medals are much more attractive and have a sort of "artistic" nature to them.
    you know, I really hate to admit it for some reason, but I somewhat agree. Im not sure if it is just because we live here....but it seems US stuff is plentiful. Some US stuff is great, dont get me wrong....but most of it is just so bland/blahh. Like you've said....there are certain family related items that I hold dearly, but it just doesnt do it for me like the German WW2 items do.

I think cuff titles are a bit ridiculous when it comes to pricing. That is one item I would not buy. And KM stuff doesnt really do it for me either. Monies/currency also

I am surprised everyone is hating on Dogtags! I think the ones with specific units are interesting! This is something kept on the soldier throughout the war...

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    some of the medals were denazified so they could actually be worn in POW camps, not only just to keep them. Certain camps (in Canada,etc) allowed the Prisoners to continue the wear of uniforms and medals, without swas.

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    I am surprised everyone is hating on Dogtags! I think the ones with specific units are interesting! This is something kept on the soldier throughout the war...
    I was surprised too bro.

I love them though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast