Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection

Article about: by ToxicGas I meant to add that to my list! I never understood the point in 'De-Nazifying' objects that no longer serve a post-war purpose... if you're going to destroy it, why not just thro

Default militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection

for what ever reason!
    To me they are over sea caps and m 43 caps for the headgears.Just find them hard to display and not very attractive.
    Dog tags, because I find them ugly.
    I do understand they historical importance!!
    No offence mend to those who collect them, it is just my personal feeling.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Default Re: militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection

Anything from the camps.

Default Re: militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection

Quote by Lowboy View Post
    Anything from the camps.
    Agree, no appeal and the sort of items that pander to the media stereotypes about us collectors. We should not forget the history of such items, but collecting them seems wrong and a bit strange even to me. Again, no intention to disrespect any who do collect these, just not for me.

Otherwise, FAKES sold as original.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Dog tags and death cards.....too personal for me

I could never get myself to spend hundreds of dollars on SS cap skulls. If I could blow that kind of money on cap skulls then I would just save for a complete cap.

I would take a cheap or free cap skull anyday though.

?

Camp items and anti semetic propaganda, although i understand that the propaganda items are historical documents, i personally see no reason to collect them, the camp items , i feel are too personal in relation to the suffering endured and to me are akin to collecting scalps or ears

I don't think there's anything I would 'not have' on moral grounds, and in terms of collecting I like items to be as personal as possible. I like things that reflect the lives of ordinary people that got caught up in war. I do own a few things that creep me out though, I have to say. The worst is a WWI British Army infantry officer's whistle. I know who it belonged to, and I know it was likely used to send men 'over the top', and the thought of that coupled with the eerie sound it makes gives me the wigs. I also have a page from another WWI British officer's message pad, which has a short note written to the mother of a Private in his regiment, explaining that her son went over the top on a certain day and hasn't been seen since (and presumably was never was seen again as he's listed as killed).

Rob

?

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against those who collect death card or dog tags.....I love iTMS with a personal touch....but if somebody in years to come has my dog tags in a collection, I'd think I'd rather them be with my family, same with death cards...I know there are two out there somewhere that belong to my family. The circumstances in which they were lost and then ended up on the market are out of my and the person who may have themselves control....I have trawled through collections posted online, eBay and at militaria shows just on the off chance...but it does sadden me to see them priced according to what unit or how many medals they have.....cheapens the sacrifice! You kow, poor old fritz who only has a wound badge is cheaper than Hans with a knights cross

Death camp items for sure and I cant see the attraction of collecting ordnance

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Sometimes I feel like bidding on holocaust items, and then sending them to a museum, like the holocaust museum here in Melbourne....I know it defeats the purpose of these people making money on suffering, but someone is going to buy it, and I think if I do,mi can at keast make sure they are no longer exploited

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast