Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Military collectable or army surplus?

Article about: I recently acquired this British military belt set up and am wondering whether it comes under military collectables (worth keeping) or army surplus (give to the kids to play with). It is wha

Default Military collectable or army surplus?

I recently acquired this British military belt set up and am wondering whether it comes under military collectables (worth keeping) or army surplus (give to the kids to play with). It is what some folk term 'SAS Belt Order' because it was apparently used by that unit. However I am aware that it is just the basic kit any soldier may have carried from the jungles of Belize to the countryside of Northern Ireland. Many British soldiers used the US M16 rifles, from the infantry to the Gurkas and not just SFs. The kit, except for the '44 pattern water bottle, seems as issued and hardly, if at all, used. The dates on the pouches range from 1984 - 1992. The set up consists of, from left to right, M16 30 round mag pouches (carries 4 mags), '58 pattern water bottle pouch, 'SAS' ration pouch, another '58 carrier, '44 pattern water bottle pouch, '58 pattern compass pouch all on a '58 pattern belt. Would some soldier have had this set up in Northern Ireland in the early 1990s? I have a chance to swap it for a US M56 webbing set. Fair swap?

Attachment 823063

Absolutely not one for the kids to play with. There's a good £100 there, so the answer to the original question is definitely collectable rather than surplus. It's difficult to be more precise without knowing which pouches bear which dates or seeing the back of the escape pouch (the large drop-loop one).

Getting more collectable and valuable all the time, a real future antique.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.