Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Military dealers and the overly offended public.

Article about: Oh boy was I mad when I started reading this: Kane County flea market in flap over Nazi banner I bought from that very man two days ago and because he had a nazi banner he was the center of

Default Military dealers and the overly offended public.

Oh boy was I mad when I started reading this: Kane County flea market in flap over Nazi banner

I bought from that man two days ago and because he had a nazi banner he was the center of attention (he is in no way the only one there with that stuff). Wish I was there when this happened, I would have given the people who were overreacting my two cents

But here is a nice discussion point: What is the future of our hobby with people who find the mere sight of this stuff offensive? (not necessarily offended themselves, but offended because it might offend someone else).

It has been thus since the very beginnings of collecting WWII artifacts...this can be ignored, but what can Not be, is when they start making more and more and more absurd laws about displaying,owning and buying and selling such things. A case in point is the mere Sight of a swastika in many parts of Europe and even now in places like eBay. Yes, the war had many terrible aspects to it and things that went on, but over 71 years now have passed since it's finish. Perhaps, now that very few of the players in the war are still with us, it's time to get past the hate and move on. People hated the Kaiser in 1915. Who does so now? It's a sad day when in their elderly years and in need, the old soldiers cannot even sell their hard won trophies they brought back....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Since I came in contact with TR-collecting in about 1970 with regularity persons
    "pop up" who have problems with this branche of collecting nazi material.

We have this problem also in my country (the Netherlands) where some guy tries
    to let forbid the militaria-shows (nazibeurs). In the 1970's I had some house-
    search by the police as people thought I had specific intententions. I always try
    to keep one's distance from those, having a right-winged mind and in my books
    there is always a note that my writings do not have to do with sympathy.

Okay, the materials are nazi-relics, which are historical. Isn't it so that in 500 or
    more years they will be called as "archaeological finds"?

I have the problem of an overly sensitive family member who now thinks I am a Nazi because I have some TR stuff. I have some Vietnam era stuff too. I guess I am also a Viet-Cong. As far as TR stuff goes, "to the victor go the spoils", and in this case, the universe of TR relics are those spoils and the rest of the world and its citizenry were the victors. I don't let someone being offended interfere with my hobby. They don't write the checks for the items in the collection and thusly have no voice in regard to the contents of my collection.

People can be ignorant-that's for sure. When I had my shop years ago, I had an actual Confederate battle flag for sale hanging on the wall, and before I knew it, people were telling others that they wouldn't go into my store because of "That Flag!". Alright, I thought, I'll take it down and fold it up in my display case counter. To replace the empty spot on the wall, I hung a nice silk Japanese Rising Sun flag for sale. (Given the idiotic redneck attitudes of the town I was living in, I knew better than to hang up a Kreigsmarine Battle Flag that I was also offering for sale). So what happened? The same thing as the Confederate Flag. Again...out came all the whispered talk about "That Flag!". A Japanese Navy Flag?? Did they seriously think that I was an elderly Japanese veteran in some sort of amazingly great disguise?? So, to make a long story short, the Rising Sun soon joined the Confederate in the counter where they quickly sold.

A quick word of advice,though. Reputations will sometimes last for a Lifetime. There are people in my old home town to this day, I am sure, that still remember that "Crazy Nazi Guy". Like you, I collected all manner of rarities and genres, but if you throw it at a wall to see what sticks, it will always be "the Nazi Stuff". My collection financed 3 world trips and paid for in full the nice 5 bedroom house that I live in today. So, collect what interests you and just be careful who you ever display it to. There will Always be rednecks and simpletons who will disagree with it-whether it be SS uniforms or comic books.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I would have probably helped you pay for that house if I lived near your shop! Oddly enough, and not straying into the discussion of anything political, I consider myself a "redneck" and most of my fellow "rednecks" couldn't care less about what I collect. They enjoy it because it is odd and old and from a time of great upheaval we have only heard about. I find it is the "liberal" trendy types who take great offense to any historical artifacts bearing symbols they don't like. They don't generally even understand the history, or only know a few, incorrect things about it.