Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Military service

Article about: I did two tours in Northern Ireland during the early 1970's when things were really hairy. On my first tour in 1971/72 our Battery came under attack by bomb, bullet or riots on more than 400

?

Default Re: Military service

I think the plates in the N I body armour was layered glass very thick & heavy..,The body does woek Ive withessed in Belfast,one of our lads was shot & hit in the rifle switch in turn exploded!!! He lost an eye,but the body armour saved him from more damage of the upper body..So body armour is a bore to wear,but I wouldnt do another strike op without it!!!! Terry.

How well I remember green eggs and soggy toast. U.S. Army, 1974-1989. You haven't lived until you've had c-ration eggs and ham. What a culinary delight!

I never could figure out how the eggs turned green, I thought it might have been the aluminum pans it was served in, because it got greener the closer to the sides you got ( I know from KP lol)

That could be. It was only when they were in mermite cans.

?

remember the salty SOS ?

Quote by colt45 View Post
    remember the salty SOS ?
    That was the one thing I never had the urge to try, it already looked like someone had eaten it once lol

The SOS I remember wasn't salty; made from ground beef instead of dried beef. I had worse things in the Army, C-ration beans and weenies comes to mind.

US Army Stinger Team Chief 1986-1996. Desert Shield/Storm 90/91. Before the war I was attached to 4/64 Armor, so I stayed in the field a lot. I had it pretty sweet though. My vehicle was a 113 APC and just two guys and a full load of stingers in the back. It was like a Winnebago!
    As far as SOS goes, I liked it pretty well. Sometimes I still get the Stouffers chipped beef and gravy and make it at home. I found myself to be quite the gourmet MRE cook. It's pretty amazing what you can come up with to keep from eating the same thing the same way over and over. I remember that on FTX's in the winter that Field KP wasn't so bad. That field kitchen was pretty warm!

?

Ft. Benning Ga. nats in your nose & ears while on guard insp. , hot sun cooking everything

Spent some time back in the mid 80,s in the Australian Army Reserve as an Infantry Platoon commander (2rd Lt ,no uni degree to get the second pip,buggers).Was with the 12th Independent Rifle Company in Tassie which was part of the Royal Tasmanian Regiment .This unit was disbanded back in 1987.
    What I remember most was the old Vietnam era kit we were issued and how unsuitable it was for Tassies cold winter climate.
    Always cold and wet as we exercised mainly over our winter months.I envy the new blokes and their quality kit of today.
    That said I loved every second of my time.
    Cheers
    Dave

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4