Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Munich Agreement - British Airways Ltd. flight ticket for, "The Rt. Hon. Neville Chamberlain"

Article about: Just seen this interesting document up for auction at Spink & Son: 18 Jul 2014 Historical Documents: The Munich Agreement 1938 (28 September) the British Airways Ltd. flight ticket for,

Default Munich Agreement - British Airways Ltd. flight ticket for, "The Rt. Hon. Neville Chamberlain"

Just seen this interesting document up for auction at Spink & Son: 18 Jul 2014

Historical Documents: The Munich Agreement

1938 (28 September) the British Airways Ltd. flight ticket for, "The Rt. Hon. Neville Chamberlain", completed in pencil capitals for the flights London to Munich and return. The first flight was scheduled to take off at 08.30 from Heston and the box for the price is marked "Special Flight". On landing back at Heston, the Prime Minister was met by a large contingent of the press.

14035_3081_1-201474103026_original.jpg

This is the top copy of ticket BA/WS "18249" which is self-carbonated. Included with this is a manila envelope marked "The Prime Minister's ticket on his last visit to Munich at which an agreement with Hitler was reached. 29.9.38". This was in the papers of George William Denny, one of the founders of British Airways. There were only two pages to these tickets (the under half was sold by Christie's in 1992).

This was one of the most significant and iconic moments in twentieth century British and European history.
    Subject to 20% VAT on Buyer’s Premium. For more information please view Terms and Conditions for Buyers.
    Estimate: £12,000 - £15,000
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

This was the 3rd flight that Chamberlain took in less than a month. On 15 September 1938, he flew from Heston to München (Munich) for a meeting with German Chancellor Adolf Hitler at Berchtesgaden (the first time he had ever flown). Lockheed 10 Electra G-AEPR of British Airways Ltd was used on that first of three visits to Germany, piloted by C. Nigel Pelly. On 22 September 1938, Chamberlain flew to Köln Bonn Airport for a meeting at Bad Godesberg in Lockheed 14 G-AFGN, flown by Eric Robinson. On 29 September 1938, G-AFGN was piloted by Victor Flowerday on the final trip to Munich, that resulted in the Munich Agreement, Chamberlain's widely publicised return at Heston on 30 September 1938, and his subsequent "Peace for our time" speech.

Information from: Coming in to Land: A Short History of Hounslow, Hanworth and Heston Aerodromes 1911-1946, by Tim Sherwood (1999).
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.