Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My "40,s" 40th!!

Article about: Hello chaps , I thought I would just share this image of myself dressed as my grandfather in his 1945 Foresters battledress. I will be wearing this battledress at my 40th birthday(1940's) fa

jwp
    ?

Great pic Leon, have a great night !, is that the 49th west riding division polar bear patch ?,
    all the best ,
    John.

Quote by jwp View Post
    Great pic Leon, have a great night !, is that the 49th west riding division polar bear patch ?,
    all the best ,
    John.
    I think you are "spot on"about the 49th as I recall John !! Thanks, Leon.

A great pic! I hope you enjoy your 40th.

Totally amazing hope you have a good one

Wow Leon that is amazing I love your photo's great family history there. I couldn't fit into dad's 94th div jacket LOL he hit the beach D+2 at Omaha your grandfather was in the thick of Normandy as Dad was probably side by side. Dad talked of the British divisions he saw in Normandy he wasn't with the 94 in Normandy as they were in Brittany sometime later on he transferred to 94. Someday I will try to find a photo but yours is amazing and to be proud of.

Quote by timothy View Post
    Wow Leon that is amazing I love your photo's great family history there. I couldn't fit into dad's 94th div jacket LOL he hit the beach D+2 at Omaha your grandfather was in the thick of Normandy as Dad was probably side by side. Someday I will try to find a photo but yours is amazing and to be proud of. timothy
    Thanks Timothy , I remember you telling me about your dad being there! I hope you can "dig out" some pictures as it is one of the most important periods in the history of our world and we are both privileged to have members of our family who were there! Leon.

A great image and good that your grandfather lived to tell the tail and is still with us today. I assume the two BD's shown are not the same one?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Here is a picture of my Grandfather taken just before D-Day, he "hit" the beach near Ouistreham about 18 mins after the commandos landed(his memory not mine!!) A bit of a "balls" as usual as he was supposed to be 3rd wave re-enforcements with the Hampshire Regiment but was instantly turned into a Lincoln by the Beach Commander(with his mates) as the Hamps were not due for some time!!! Still he made it until D-Day +42 and was then wounded by morter fire 25 miles inland(hence the wound stripe on the 1945 Foresters tunic). Leon.
    superb photograph leon ,i can see more than a passing resemblance to your good self and your grandpa

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    A great image and good that your grandfather lived to tell the tail and is still with us today. I assume the two BD's shown are not the same one?
    Hi Jerry , no , you are quite right , it took me about 6 months to get the "period" patches to go on the 1944 dated tunic. My Grandfather was discharged in 1947 and handed over his original Foresters tunic , but was then drafted back in for Suez 1956 in the Royal Engineers! I think over the course of 15 years he was in six different regiments(he must have been unpopular)!! Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 01-28-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Oh yeh, PS happy 40th
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast