Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My friends totally chewed me out for saying I've collected some thins from the Third Reich

Article about: You figure people would freak out when they see Russian stuff.. Considering how "good " their past is. The major reason nazis are hated is becuase of the Holocuast(reslulted in 6 m

Default Re: My friends totally chewed me out for saying I've collected some thins from the Third Reich

those people who condemn you are ignorant of history and your motive for collecting,and in my opinion, would be a waste of time trying to explain your keen interest in history,,write them off and move on,but keep your third reich items to yourself in the future,,,i have found that i dont have time to explain anymore to narrow minded and parochial attitudes of people who havent been taught much history,who are not collectors themselves and may not understand the desire to collect and are just too lazy to assume that you are anything but a "nazi"...i say good riddance to them

dave34
    ?

Default Re: My friends totally chewed me out for saying I've collected some thins from the Third Reich

Have an extreme experience concerning this matter...A guy at work actually went to the boss and told him NOT to team him and me up ever again...My crime was him seeing me reading a book about Freikorps Dänemark.

On the other hand..a good friend of mine who was actually in the resistance totally approves my collecting..He's ALSO all over when getting a luger or such in hand :-)
    He even contributed to my collection as those of you who read my post about a "deskdrawer find" will know.

Some people just want to get offended.

You should have seen my great uncles reaction when he saw my Soviet collection and my fascination with the Soviet system. He fought in WW2, Korea, and a small part of Veitnam I thought he was going to turn me into the US house committee on unamerican activities, hope somebody gets that joke

But after a little explanation and a long fact filled history of most of my favorite items, he was very impressed and flattered that I was so passionate about a time he remembers all to well sometimes. He passed away a few months ago, before that he told me "never judge history, you will only drive yourself insane" LOL

It has been said many times on this forum, that we as collectors should strive to be historians. The appeasement we are showing terrorists, and rogue nations today, is not dis-similar to the 1933 thru 1939 time period in Europe. I am an avid reader of WWII history, which is now whitewashed to be politially correct in the schools. I collect because I want to understand the history behind my stuff. My signature mantra has always been summed up by the old roman adage, "Si vis pacem para bellum" which basically says in Latin "If you wish for peace, prepare for war". The liberals of today do not get that concept which brings up my final comment, those that do not study or understand history, are condemned to repeat it. Keep collecting boys!

Jay

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    Its not a SMALL deal when talking about NAZI items... Thats was your first mistake!
    When explaining to my friends/family/customers I ALWAYS say I collect WW2 German Military items. This is many peoples minds doesnt conjure up the NAZI's as they immediately thing, guns, uniforms etc & think about the historical item.

Just send this to your friends:

I wish to stress that I have no affiliation with any political party, past or present, and I most definitely do not condone the actions of Nazi Germany.
    My collecting of WW2 militaria US or German is purely for historical purposes.
    Sorry if I offended you without explaining this beforehand.

Good luck mate.
    I said something nearly identical to this before creating this thread; it made no difference. Maybe they're not real friends of mine, and that I couldn't care less about. I just don't want them to spread stupid and untrue rumors around to my REAL friends and around my school.

And it isn't a BIG DEAL talking about items you will collect if you have a passion for history and the feeling you get knowing that you have quite a bit of it belonging to you. To me it was just another item to add to the collection, and maybe that was a mistake too, because to my ignorant "friends", buying a nazi armband meant that I directly supported naziism and that I was a nazi, I worshiped Hitler, and I'm sure all of us here know that's not the case. But the prejudices that an ignorant mind can conjure up are amazing, if only everybody knew that the Axis soldiers were fighting for their countries and their causes just like the Allied soldiers were. I personally believe that there were a few of Axis soldiers who were much more brave and courageous than many Allied soldiers could ever hope to be. Does it make them evil that they want to fight for their country, for a cause that they may or may not have believed in, having been raised learning about it? In the eyes of most people, yes. And I still have trouble understanding that.

If they treat you this way and cannot be reasonable about your collecting and understand about the historical importance of the artifacts you have were they really freinds to begin with? To me they are not worth knowing as for rumours small minded people are like sheep! Enjoy your hobby as we here all do everyone deserves to have what they want in their collection i collected Bomber command items for the last 10 years or so before that anything army.I began my collecting seriously many years ago when i got my first pay pack i worked as a steward at a place that held militaria fairs.My first real purchase was a German gasmask in container was a cracker so i stuck to a few third reich items got ripped of here and there (still do sometimeslol).Some people i worked with accused me of being a racist as i dont have much hair so i shave it as i always have done.So i got a strop on and sold some cracking bits of German militaria i look back at it as if i was selling it to keep mates and keep them happy.After that went and got some usaaf items which lead to raf.Not long ago i decided i want items like i had before back if offends anyone i dont care as long as im happy its part of history for us to enjoy the item as a collector but never forget the circumstances in which all these items came to be.As long as you dont go goose stepping down the road and seig heil at everyone who passes you in the street dont worry!!!!!

my girlfriend calls me a weirdo for collecting tr ,my friends love it,you cant please everybody all of the time and to be honest you shouldnt have to, just ignore them and laugh it off , rgds Dave

I have been collecting military for some time. All the advice I can offer is this: be sensitive when you are talking about any type of military, no matter what army, or time period you are talking about. I think it is safe to say that the military, and the consequences of every action that have ever been has touched all of us in some way. It has ruined families, and brought families together. I have family that still talk about the War of 1812.
    So, when I tell people about my collection of Canadian or Third Reich regalia, I try to be as respectful as possible when discussing or purchasing someone's history.
    This sort of collecting is not for everyone, and being respectful of the people who do not collect military regalia is also important.

...just my 2 cents

SCB.

That's great advice SCB. I just have one thing to add. You have given very sensitive advise for a guy who goes by SatansCabanaBoy!. You must be one complicated guy.

Take care,
    Jay

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    I have been collecting military for some time. All the advice I can offer is this: be sensitive when you are talking about any type of military, no matter what army, or time period you are talking about. I think it is safe to say that the military, and the consequences of every action that have ever been has touched all of us in some way. It has ruined families, and brought families together. I have family that still talk about the War of 1812.
    So, when I tell people about my collection of Canadian or Third Reich regalia, I try to be as respectful as possible when discussing or purchasing someone's history.
    This sort of collecting is not for everyone, and being respectful of the people who do not collect military regalia is also important.

...just my 2 cents

SCB.
    Well said my friend. Your 2 Cents is worth a lot more than 2 Cents.

Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast