Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My trip to China and Hong Kong

Article about: Right before the Sino-Japanese War, that government of Guangzhou ordered a number of Krupp guns from Germany to be used in a coastal defence role. I have never seen a Krupp gun up close, and

Default Re: My trip to China and Hong Kong

More guns, views, magazines, and ruins as I worked my way down the hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I eventually made it to the Brennan torpedo station at the bottom of the hill. This was the last of this kind that Britain constucted at any of its outposts. It was old, and a lot of it was blocked off, but a few chains never kept me out of a restricted area before...

Luckily it was a rainy day, so I pretty much had the entire museum to myself.

Some info on the Brennan torpedo, taken from Wikipedia: "The Brennan torpedo was a torpedo patented by Irish born Australian inventor Louis Brennan in 1877. It was powered by two contra-rotating propellors that were spun by rapidly pulling out wires from drums wound inside the torpedo. Differential speed on the wires connected to the shore station allowed the torpedo to be guided to its target, up to 2,000 yards (1,800 m) away, at speeds of up to 27 knots (31 mph).

The Brennan torpedo is often claimed as the world's first guided missile, but guided torpedoes invented by John Ericsson, John Louis Lay, and Victor von Scheliha all predate it; however, Brennan's torpedo was much simpler in its concept and worked over an acceptable range at a satisfactory speed so it might be more accurate to call it "the world's first practical guided missile".[1]"

The rest of the torpedo station, including the chained off observation post (), the torpedo lubricant and water reserves, and the ruined electricity and engine houses. The generator was used to power a large spotlight that sat at the top of the slope.

Lastly, I visited the gunpowder factory, where a small monument stands, and the edge of a vehicle display that was unfortunately under construction.

That's it! I hope you guys enjoyed the photos. It was a really great museum, and China in general was a wonderful place to visit. I'll conclude with this photo I took from the plane to Tokyo.

What a super thread and great pics! Thanks Mo.

And congrats on your new Sister!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Indeed congratulations!!

Thank you for taking the time to post these super photos. It gives us such a fantastic insight !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Great thread.

Very interesting... I saw the Mig in 1987, always here. In Peijing, there is a Military Museum at left of the Palace but with thousands of persons! At 10 kms of the palace the Museum of Independance with a Jap zero.
    Also in Beijing, the biggest flea market of the world, but very poor, the last time only one helmet(Japon).

The flea Market

Here, it is very Chinese, but you must look...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast